New Member from Australia

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Astro Arthur

New Member from Australia

Post by Astro Arthur »

My name is Arthur and my wife Debbie and I had the privilege of meeting and chatting with four SINGASTRO members at the Lostock AstroCamp in the hunter Valley in New South Wales over the Weekend of the 18th Jan 2007. (It was a very hot weekend with the temperature during the day at 40 degrees Celcius (The river was great to swim in and everybody indulged).

These folk were very knowledgeable and funny and great to talk with.

Unfortunately I have lost the group members names (which is absolutely my fault) but not before learning about SingAstro, It appears to be a great web site.

I visited Singapore for 2 weeks last November and hope to return again in the next 18 months and would like to catch up with some Amateur Astronomers like myself, your skies are so varied to ours down below.

I am also a member of Iceinspace (the Aussie equivalent)

The View of Comet McNaught was absolutely fabulous that weekend, the only thing that was more refreshing was a very cold beer on the saturday afternoon

Astro Arthur
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Welcome to SingAstro!!! :D :D :D
your skies are so varied to ours down below.
Althought, we are able to see most of the Northern and Southern sky, but light pollution is also very serious... :( :( So we usually went to the countryside of our neighbour country (Malaysia) for observation during the new moon and non-monsoon period.
The View of Comet McNaught was absolutely fabulous that weekend, the only thing that was more refreshing was a very cold beer on the saturday afternoon
Too bad, our weather during that period of time was very bad as we were in the monsoon season... So most of us miss the comet. :( :(

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Unfortunately I have lost the group members names (which is absolutely my fault) but not before learning about SingAstro, It appears to be a great web site.
Hi Arthur, welcome to Singastro!

I believe one of the members you met is Remus Chua? he's one of the founders of this forum. Here's a famous pic of him leaning to his Epsilon 200 (extreme right).

Arief
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

welcome arthur!
yup...should be Remus, Sam Lee and company. They were down under catching your famous Aussie comet! :lol:
The stories Sam told me about how clear the comet's tail was in daylight was mouth watering!
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Astro Arthur

photo of Comet

Post by Astro Arthur »

I have got a photograph of the comet taken with 400mm lens on Olympus OM-1 film camera taken just at sunset from the AstroCamp where we all were but I don't know if i could put it on the Website or if I would be allowed, I would have to scan it in.

Astro Arthur
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Yes, Arthur, do scan it and put it up. I think there is a FAQ or 'sticky' post on how to post pics here, including the size constraints.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: photo of Comet

Post by Airconvent »

Astro Arthur wrote:I have got a photograph of the comet taken with 400mm lens on Olympus OM-1 film camera taken just at sunset from the AstroCamp where we all were but I don't know if i could put it on the Website or if I would be allowed, I would have to scan it in.

Astro Arthur
Hi Arthur,
You can either upload the image into the album section and link it to your thread or use the [img] tags to display it directly in the thread. Or you can also use a third partt photo storage such a photobucket.
cheers
Sam Lee

Post by Sam Lee »

Hey Authur,

Four of us were there.

Remus , me (sam) , Carole and Devan.

It was great talking to you then. The comet on the hilltop was great too ! Remember the long tail ...

Regards,
Sam
We are the Borg, Resistance is Futile!
Astro Arthur

Hi Sam

Post by Astro Arthur »

I trust the rest of your trip through the blue mountains went well,

Is this the best venue to chat through or should I be going to another venue ??

I posted a photo of the comet with it's tail on the album site.

Say hello to the others from me if you catch up with them.

catch you soon

arthur
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Hi Sam

Post by Airconvent »

Astro Arthur wrote:I trust the rest of your trip through the blue mountains went well,

Is this the best venue to chat through or should I be going to another venue ??

I posted a photo of the comet with it's tail on the album site.

Say hello to the others from me if you catch up with them.

catch you soon

arthur
Hi Arthur
I have helped you to link the photo here.
Nice image....drool...
cheers

http://www.singastro.org/album_picm.php?pic_id=686 :D