is astronomy difficult to learn and time consuming?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
huang_qingyuan

Post by huang_qingyuan »

does it happen often that someone buys a telescope out of a feverish passion but loses interest in astronomy as time passes by?
Thats something im afraid of..
Is there any observation sessions in the month of april and may?
would be interested to go and understand more about astronomy.
and thanks to all the ppl who replied to my C4-R and C6-N question.
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

Hi,

I am afraid the answer is YES and its rather frequent. I, myself is an example. I went out of astronomy for 3-4 years due to lack of time and lack of motivation.

It was only in the recent years that I mingled with similarly minded and picked it up again. This time I jump into the deep waters of it. Talk to people. Keep each other motivated through new equipment discussions and new techniques discussion. Now seeking to upgrade equipment and go to another level of deepness into this hobby.

I hope this helps you to see how to keep things going. (Actually this is applicable to any hobby)

Thanks!
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

My astronomy fever comes and go. Trips to mersing keeps the spirit up! :)
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
hommel

Post by hommel »

I started having an interest in astronomy when i was abt 12 years old, like what Meng Lee said, i went out of astronomy too for a couple of years, but the passion never dies.
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

As long as you are motivated, there is nothing really hard to learn about it! Speak to the right people, and if you immerse into the deep waters, I guarantee you will then never lose interest in it!
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

there's a star party coming this 21st april :D do come down and take a look. Organised by RP, think there'll be some big scopes there.

there's also a mersing tour by rcj http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php?t=4630

I think there are many private or personal ob sessions that aren't posted up. These are normally last minutes decisions. For example, if I happen to be home on fri/sat night and see the skies are clear, I might just pack my equipment and go for a short visual tour. :D
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Err... It's a hobby... So you got all the time you need to learn it at your own pace... you are not going to be tested on it. Also, it's ok even you don't want to learn anything about theory in Astronomy, just want to look at the amazing beauty of the universe... Anyway, I don't understand most Astronomy theory... ha ha ha :oops: :oops: :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
does it happen often that someone buys a telescope out of a feverish passion but loses interest in astronomy as time passes by?
Yes.... IMHO, this happen to most newbie when:
1) they have no obbing buddy,
I think one way of keeping yourself interested in astronomy (same as other hobby) is too find a few "obbing" buddy. Can help each other to keep interested and at least can "chit chat" and won't feel so "sianz" when the sky is overcast... hee hee :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

2) they buy a scope too soon and
When they never see through a scope before and expect to see full colour image as printed on most telescope advertisement. Expectation too high and disappointment kills the hobby very fast especially under Singapore light polluted skies.

3) they brought a too small aperture scope.
This is also one of the main reason that kill newbie fast. They brought a too small aperture scope... even the small scope is of the highest quality. The small aperture just limit what they can see clearly under Singapore light polluted sky... especially to the inexperience newbie... this will cause newbie to loose interest fast.

Just my S$0.02... :P

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

I think the best way to keep the interest on is to go to dark sites like in Mersing, Tioman, Redang, Bintan etc.. or if one has money go to Australia. I usually get excited when I get a chance to go to such places. :)

Also, as Weixing has stated.. that is not to keep the expectations too high. Astronomy is more than just looking at stuff or academic knowledge. It teaches a lot of things like patience, observing skills, knowledge of equipment, knowledge of the constellations and stars and satisfaction in locating objects (especially challenging dim ones) by yourself. It can be fun and frustrating.. and only those who are learning these skills will find astronomy fun and will continue in this hobby.
AstroDuck
huang_qingyuan

whats your motivation behind astronomy??

Post by huang_qingyuan »

often wonder why ppl take up astronomy..
whats yours??
I think its more than just appreciating the beauty of the night sky.
i think it has more to do with wanting to know the relationship btw human beings and the universe and our place in it..
its like close to religious feeling..
we wont get any answer by taking up astronomy..
but at least we are doing sth actively to explore our world and understand it..
aquillae

Post by aquillae »

its difficult......to beat the clouds :P
jeff
astro-cubicle :: www.astrojeff.com