Astronomy is for me.

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
hanif_90

Astronomy is for me.

Post by hanif_90 »

hi to all,

A bit of intro here...
Name is Muhammad Hanif
Currently a Sec 5 student in Serangoon Sec (preparing for O-levels!).

OK, so astronomy...one of my interests...started just this year, early february. actually, did some sky observations since i was like about 11 years? using the only-can-see-the-moon telescope. seriously i have to go and buy a new one...

then, during the june holidays, attended an Astronomy Workshop...really interesting, did lots of things learn about the stars, nebulaes etc, then venture further deeper into the wonders of the universe. since then, attended sky observation at the Singapore Science Centre (only once haha...), try to go again soon....

well, I'm currently finding a new telescope to buy. my budget, well, surprisingly about S$100, but currently. try to find more astronomy stuff here in singapore, seminars, workshop, talks etc.

by joining Singastro.org, I'm dedicated to widen out my knowledge on Astronomy, doubts on astronomy as well as dedicate myself to look Beyond Our World.....

Visit my weblog - Beyond Our World - New Challenges, New Experiences
Visit my Beyond Our World @ Wikipedia - Beyond Our World

Contact me @
hanif_902020@gawab.com
::Muhammad Hanif ::
Beyond Our World
Experience Life in a Different Galaxy :: An Interstellar Concoction of Galaxies
Sam Lee

Post by Sam Lee »

Hi Hanif,

Welcome to SingAstro !

Don't be caught up with selecting new telescopes. There are plenty of those to go around during the regular observations that we post here. A good pair of binoculars is a great start should you feel the need.

Keep a lookout for observation posts at the 'Events And Observations' section for activities.

BTW , just a quick survey question. How did you locate SingAstro ? Friends ? Google search ?

Regards,
Sam
We are the Borg, Resistance is Futile!
hanif_90

Post by hanif_90 »

search the web for astronomy stuff here in singapore. not that much that i can find. only singastro.org and singastrowiki. I believe this is the ONLY RELIABLE SOURCE of astronomical activities for Singaporeans in Singapore....haha...good job for those who did this...
Beyond Our World
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Hi, welcome hanif to the singastro community. As a student, you will have a lot of chances to learn more about astronomy. You're sec5, meaning you'll be going poly next year? try SP or RP, they both have superb astronomy clubs who will welcome you and teach you as much as you can learn :)

However, astronomy would be for most of us just a passion. Do not forget your studies! :D
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
JJLoke

Post by JJLoke »

Hi Hanif, I strongly recommend you saving that $100 on a telescope. Ask around and do some online searching on types of binoculars and telescopes.

buy one only if you have the longing passion and enthu-spirit, but as you know the sky's the limit.
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Hi Haniff,

Welcome to Singastro. I would also recommend that you continue saving to get a bigger budget for a better scope. You probably won't get anything suitable for astronomy for $100. If the meantime, study hard and get good results so your parents will let you join us for observation sessions!

At these sessions, you can try out the different types of scopes and decide which is best for you.

Cheers!

Kay Heem
jennifer1611991

Post by jennifer1611991 »

Hey there Haniff, welcome to Singastro!! I too signed up for it to receive the latest news and and breakthroughs in astronomy as well as to expand my knowledge and passion for this phenomenal science! :) Okay well, I wish you luck and clear skies!! :)
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

welcome hanif...!
Do drop by AstroScience at the science centre to get a taste of what scopes are out there...there are so many models on display it makes you drool..
I was there this afternoon to buy a microscope..heh heh
And hopefully this would be a lifelong hobby and we see you here regularly.
clear skies

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
hanif_90

Post by hanif_90 »

yups. visited there already...cool astro stuff...contacted them as well to get updates on the telescope prices...the cheapest there is about S$2XX...have to save money....haha
Beyond Our World