What can we see in Singapore Sky?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
guangwei

What can we see in Singapore Sky?

Post by guangwei »

I am very interested in Stargazing and what is beyond the night sky. I was wondering what can i see in the singapore night sky? Is 20X80 or 25X100 astro Bino suitable to see star clusters and many other sky objects like comets or planets like jupiter, saturn or venus?
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

Hi guangwei! Before I begin answering your queries, I'd like to welcome you to the Singastro community. Contrary to popular beliefs, you can actually see many objects in Singapore. To start off with a few, you can see the Orion Belt, Pleiades Star Cluster, Jupiter, Saturn, Venus and Mars at different time of the year. For more objects, you may want to use the search function as this is mainly the questions asked by all newbies and have already been answered. You might want to download Stellarium to get you a rough idea of what's in the sky first. Usually in Singapore, we're able to see objects up to magnitude 5 with a pair of binoculars, provided you are able to find the object using your naked eye or with the aid of a planisphere or planetarium software like Stellarium.

Yes, a pair of 20x80 or a 25x100 binoculars is suitable for viewing star clusters and other celestial objects, but is too heavy to hand hold. You'll need to mount the binoculars to a tripod. The maximum you can go for handheld is a 10x50 binoculars. Any larger will mean the binoculars will become too heavy to hold steadily for long period of time. With the higher magnification, the slightest shake will mean that you can't see any thing at all. I started off with a Vixen Ascot 8x42 binoculars, and I moved on to getting a scope after that.

Hope this answers your queries.

Regards,
Zane
guangwei

Post by guangwei »

Thanks for the reply ^^ I don't have that money for a good telescope. And i don't know how to use or choose a telescope. So i was wondering if i could get a good bino like 20X80 or 25X100 would be good and with the tripod and i can join you guys for observation sessions!
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

Zephyrus wrote:Hi guangwei! Before I begin answering your queries, I'd like to welcome you to the Singastro community. Contrary to popular beliefs, you can actually see many objects in Singapore. To start off with a few, you can see the Orion Belt, Pleiades Star Cluster, Jupiter, Saturn, Venus and Mars at different time of the year. For more objects, you may want to use the search function as this is mainly the questions asked by all newbies and have already been answered. You might want to download Stellarium to get you a rough idea of what's in the sky first. Usually in Singapore, we're able to see objects up to magnitude 5 with a pair of binoculars, provided you are able to find the object using your naked eye or with the aid of a planisphere or planetarium software like Stellarium.

Yes, a pair of 20x80 or a 25x100 binoculars is suitable for viewing star clusters and other celestial objects, but is too heavy to hand hold. You'll need to mount the binoculars to a tripod. The maximum you can go for handheld is a 10x50 binoculars. Any larger will mean the binoculars will become too heavy to hold steadily for long period of time. With the higher magnification, the slightest shake will mean that you can't see any thing at all. I started off with a Vixen Ascot 8x42 binoculars, and I moved on to getting a scope after that.

Hope this answers your queries.

Regards,
Zane
Hi Zane, what's the faintest magnitude we can see at Singaporean night sky with unaided eyes?
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

guangwei wrote:Thanks for the reply ^^ I don't have that money for a good telescope. And i don't know how to use or choose a telescope. So i was wondering if i could get a good bino like 20X80 or 25X100 would be good and with the tripod and i can join you guys for observation sessions!
Using a bino is a good start. Less complicated and helps you around the sky far easier than a telescope.

Also less dollar commitment until you are firm that this is the hobby for you.

But a 20x80 bino may be too heavy to hand hold. I would suggest a 11x56 or a 12x60 would be good.
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

Kim Miau wrote:Hi Zane, what's the faintest magnitude we can see at Singaporean night sky with unaided eyes?
Normally around magnitude 4 with naked eye if the sky is decent, but I've once seen M35, which is of magnitude 5.3 with my naked eye before on a VERY VERY good night (was very faint and blur patch, used my binoculars to resolve it). After which, I could never find it again, lol.

guangwei wrote:Thanks for the reply ^^ I don't have that money for a good telescope. And i don't know how to use or choose a telescope. So i was wondering if i could get a good bino like 20X80 or 25X100 would be good and with the tripod and i can join you guys for observation sessions!
Yes, like what Vincent said. You can definitely start off with a pair of binoculars until you're firm about Astronomy. That was what I did too, by getting a pair of binoculars last August, and then a telescope at the end of December after I made sure that Astronomy wasn't a 3-minute thing for me.

Also, may I know how much your budget is? Because a pair of binoculars can cost around $150 to $250, and that's without the tripod. The tripod can range between $90 up to $200 and some without a head. If you decide to get a pair of "tripod binoculars", it can cost you up to $400 over. Therefore if your budget is low, I'd suggest a 10x50 or 8x42 binoculars as they are better for handhold. You can consider 11x56 or 12x60 (for handhold) if your arms are strong enough to hold something around 1.1-1.3kg without shaking too much when you're observing. Personally I've used an 8x42 and 10x50, and I feel that the 8x42 is best for long observation sessions as it's the most comfortable weight for me at 0.8kg.

Regards,
Zane
guangwei

Post by guangwei »

I got a 10X60 binoculars but i am not satisfied with the results! The sky tonight is absolutely clear! Hmm i went to Binoculars.com and see the package giant astro bino only cost less than 150dollars for both the bino and tripod. So i was wondering where can i get such a cheap deal in singapore?
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

Hi guangwei, be it 10x magnification or 20x magnification, stars are still going to look like a bright dot. Even on a telescope, with 250x magnification, stars are still a dot. Just that you can resolve star clusters easily with a higher magnification. A pair of binoculars is supposingly used for widefield astronomy.

As for the package deal on that website, you can either choose to purchase online, or hang around our Buy and Sell section. Although, you've just missed ian0138's 20x80 w/ tripod sale. It was going for $400, I think. And I'd say, if the price is $150USD online, you have to calculate shipping and it would be costly, and it will still end up around $300 to $400 SGD. I'd still say you stick with your pair of binoculars, and save up that sum of money to get a scope in future.
guangwei

Post by guangwei »

I don't think i can save up for a telescope for now as school is starting soon and i don't have a part time job currently. Maybe in the future when i work. (: So for now i think i would want a decent giant astro bino maybe a 15x70,20x80? Yesterday's night sky pretty much clear and when i use my 10x60 bino i could see quite alot of stars in the sky and many faint stars. So i was wondering if i get a better one, i could see even more. Maybe i can join you guys for observation sessions and can learn more! I live in the east area.
zackae

Post by zackae »

Checkout obs sessions held by the many scope owners in Singapore then. You're always more than welcomed from the friendly members here =X.