What can we see in Singapore Sky?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

guangwei wrote:I don't think i can save up for a telescope for now as school is starting soon and i don't have a part time job currently. Maybe in the future when i work. (: So for now i think i would want a decent giant astro bino maybe a 15x70,20x80? Yesterday's night sky pretty much clear and when i use my 10x60 bino i could see quite alot of stars in the sky and many faint stars. So i was wondering if i get a better one, i could see even more. Maybe i can join you guys for observation sessions and can learn more! I live in the east area.
The reason why I suggest you keep the money that you intend to spend on getting a bigger bino is simple. First of all, bigger aperture is good for fainter objects, but it's not going to make much of a difference from your 10x60. You probably won't even notice, nor recognise the fainter stars you see. The weight, though, will be significantly heavier. And he higher magnification will reduce your FOV so open clusters like Pleiades may not fit in nicely. I feel that Pleiades is best observed at around 8x to 10x magnification as you can see the blue glow more in lower magnifications.

Getting a bigger binoculars will require a tripod, and it will cost you like $300 or more in total. While a scope, like my 127mm maksutov, will cost no more than $1000 for a complete setup. You're paying almost one-third of the price of a full scope setup, for a bino setup. And personally, I feel that a binoculars is supposed to be a grab and go, portable equipment. If you need to grab along a tripod, it's really not as portable. And the tripod you get for your binoculars, cannot be used for a scope as it's weight load is definitely much lighter.

That is why I suggest you keep your 10x60 binoculars, get a star chart, and get familiar with the sky. And you can always join scope-owners for observation sessions to take a look through their scopes. And if you mean start school as in Poly, then you still have 2 months to go. Find a job, and you can definitely save up at least $1000 within these 2 months. I worked for 1 and a half month after my Os before I saved up enough to get my scope in December. Right now I'm already saving up for my Lumix LX3 and laptop.

My 2cents.
guangwei

Post by guangwei »

Really make no difference? Wa cool man! And no need waste money on tripod. When i use my bino and see the stars i don know what star is what star. ~.~ I will join you people for observation sessions and learn more. And i have decided to keep my current bino since you said that it makes no difference and if i wannt get a bigger bino, it will require a tripod and it will cost $300-$400. Anyway my bino is bought at sim lim square. The people there mostly cheat money? They up and down the prices whereever they like. But i manage to found one quite reasonable price. ^^ Anyway Zephyrus, you have been a great help to me from the day i put the first post. Thanks very much (: Ya and i saw your post you said that you got your first telescope on Christmas? hahaha! Finally, i always look into the sky and see this 3 star in a row. I wonder what is it and 4 stars around it?
zamri

Post by zamri »

I guess that Orion Constellation. The 3 star in a row is the orion belt.
Can check out with the expert when you do outing with them. I'm also a noob just start to recognise thos prominent ones.

At which direction you spotted it?
guangwei

Post by guangwei »

I have no idea what direction i spotted it. I just step out of my house and look 90degrees upwards and i can see it very clearly and it is always there.
zamri

Post by zamri »

That the prominent one. For sure its a Orion.
You even can see Canis Major, Monoceros, Taurus and also others.

Last few nights, sky is very clear. Enjoying observing the star with a naked eye. Just to identified some of the constellation through the star chart.
guangwei

Post by guangwei »

I have no idea how to identify. How do you get a star chart? I would like to have one too!
zamri

Post by zamri »

guangwei wrote:I have no idea how to identify. How do you get a star chart? I would like to have one too!
I always use a daily star chart from Star and Telescope website.
You have to register to utilise it.
here the link S&T skychart
Sam Lee

Post by Sam Lee »

Hi Guys,

http://www.stellarium.org/

Stellarium is the way to go.
You'll understand once you hav it installed.
Enjoy !

Sam
We are the Borg, Resistance is Futile!
zamri

Post by zamri »

This is a good one also. I have it install in my laptop.
But normally I will use the start chart when on field.
guangwei

Post by guangwei »

Yes. I have stellarium in my laptop too. But i don really know how to read it. And the names are really funny too