Perseids meteor shower

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
star_gazer_1912

Perseids meteor shower

Post by star_gazer_1912 »

Dear all,

I'm new here and not sure how the rules of thumb is. I understand that the peak of perseids meteor shower is coming in 2.5 hours time (in US). Can we see it in Singapore? I have a celestron astro master 114AZ. How can I know where the meteor is going to pass?

Really appreciate the help here =D

[smilie=beg.gif]
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Welcome to SingAstro!! :)

You don't need and can't use a telescope to see meteor shower... use your 1x7mm "bio bino" (aka naked eye) Go to a dark site (I think changi beach is a good choice) preferable at the East side after mid-night and look at North East direction where the constellation Perseus is.

Anyway, the Moon will be in the way and current weather condition isn't that good, so I'm not sure how many can be seen.

Good luck for those observing the meteor shower.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
star_gazer_1912

Post by star_gazer_1912 »

Hi Wei Xing,

[smilie=cute.gif]

Thanks for the info. I'm staying at the west. I'll see if I get a view of any meteor tonight. Haha.
rlow

Post by rlow »

Richard Low
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,star_gazer_1912
The shower will be most prominent in the predawn hours tomorrow-ie after 2.30am but there is a problem--These few nights the sky clouds always thicken after 3am.So you have to stay up late just to try your luck.
My daughter(part of our team) did just that and yesterday night was able to see a bright one in the north-east direction at 3:05am today.It shine through the thin cloud then .We give up after that.So do try your luck! [smilie=confused.gif]
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Post by Sivakis »

wondering if Bedok Reservoir will be able to give good views, but ~ 8-9pm.... can't stay too late cos gotta work.. bleh.
kirbyong

Post by kirbyong »

hey guys. so glad i found this post, haha. the meteor shower will happen at around 2 - 3 am tmr right?
Sivakis

Post by Sivakis »

Actually, from what I understand, 2-3am tonight (or 11 hrs from now) is when its at its peak, but all the while now we should be able to spot some of it.
zackae

Post by zackae »

Yeah bedok reservoir isn't that bad, but there ARE darker sites. Aaand pray for a cloudless night.
Sivakis

Post by Sivakis »

But I'm curious... the report states:
Meteors are named after the constellation from which they seem to appear -- in this case, Perseus, a northern constellation lying east of Cassiopeia and north of Taurus
Looking through Stellarium, it would appear they will appear from E-NE and Cassiopeia will start to breach the horizon at ~ 10pm. Probably in the same area as Hamal and the Triangulum galaxy

But the report also says:
The meteors are also active for many days before and after this date, though the light reflected by a waning quarter moon may obstruct the view somewhat
Does this mean if I'm trying to view them from 8-10pm, it would be futile or I should also see some meteor trails?

Have never tried deliberately going to see this phenomenon, so hoping those with experience can advise.