anybody owns a bosma Beta RE 3.15" T f/6.3 refractor?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
jia siang

anybody owns a bosma Beta RE 3.15" T f/6.3 refractor?

Post by jia siang »

recently i came across astrobargains selling this scope.bosma Beta RE 3.15" T f/6.3 Achromatic Refractor. The thing i wanna ask is, can this scope gives a good view of saturn moons and jupiter even at 150x mag with a good eyepiece? i like this scope due to its portibility and would also like to know how this china scope compares to other good brands at this range. ur advice would be appreciated. thanks.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Just in case you don't know, a lot of scopes are "china scopes" also regardless of whether their brand is good or not. LOL :)

You have to define what is "good view" to you. My very subjective recommendation for a good balance between good views and portability is a 5 inch SCT/MCT on a altazimuth mount. I suggest you search in YouTube using the keywords "telescope" and "jupiter/saturn" to have a *rough* idea how they look through different scopes through a webcam.
Last edited by Gary on Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

I expect yes it should be acceptable at 150X, but there will be spurious color on Jupiter. Best to try it out... if Astrobargains has stock maybe he'll let you look through it.
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Astrobargains has the scope there if I'm not mistaken, when I was there about 2 weeeks ago. I'm sure the owner, Joo Beng would be more than happy to explain the Bosma scope to you as well as try it out! Just ask!

As for the 150x...as Orly mentioned, should be acceptable....just don't compare with what you see in pictures. Images are sharp due to stacking and image processing so even a small ball bearing size pic of Saturn looks good, but when viewed visually throught a scope with our own fast shutter speed eyes, many get the wind knocked out of their enthusiasm.

I use an 80ED and Saturn is small with a 38mm EP. If I use my 7mm things get bigger (well not huge) but u can make out the rings and even Jupiter's bands, though the planet in the EP view may be small!
Most importantly is to get your eyes dark adapted and use an eye patch (so usefull) as if not, a 5" scope view won't show much if your eyes are not dark adapted. The trick is to train your eyes with your equipment so you can view things better.

I will agree with Gary that a good compromise on compact and viewing is a nice 5" Mak. Enough FOV to help you navigate yet giving you pleasing and acceptable views of plamets and bright clusters.

Many start Big and end up using their smaller scopes more than anything due to the trouble of setting up, carrying the heavier scope, balancing it, ensuring the mount is stable....to much time taken to get it right when a smaller scope is so much quicker to set up and carry around. I started with a 5" MCT and with an AltAz mount, getting started was quick.
Hence many with larger scopes, either plan a long trip to make it worthwhile, or have something permanent set up at home to make things quicker. But the Bosma makes a nice portable scope for Grab and Go...even for learning and navigating the night sky!

Lastly, whatever you wish to get,...no matter what...Have fun!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

erm.. seriously.. 5" mct/sct is the way to start.. if not u will sell this soon to buy a bigger 1..
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Hi jia siang,

I have a 4.25inch edmund scientific astroscan f4 newtonian for sale. It is suitable for newbies and is easy to use and maintain. If you are interested, pm me
jia siang

Post by jia siang »

after much considerations, i want a refractor 80mm type that is very portable, easy to take into trains buses, or taking overseas. So i would not want a reflector scope. i am looking into apo type.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Welcome to the club of apo users buddy. Try the Orion premium on sale in astrobargains. I will be getting that next year if I don't get a mak newt first.

Or, you can go to staropticsscientific.com. Prices there can't get any lower.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

3.15" = 80mm.
The rule of thumb for "standard optics" is multiply the aperture in mm by 2 to get the nominal maximum workable magnification. So with 80mm, that would be x160 but that is with better optics and perfect skies. I would presume this Bosma scope, if built reasonably well, should be able to stand up to x120 under "normal" Singapore skies. BTW, unless you are looking at planets, why would you need it that high? Most DSOs require lower mag anyway.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets