Cloudy Night? - Don't fret!

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
timatworksg

Cloudy Night? - Don't fret!

Post by timatworksg »

Since it's been cloudy past several nights with hardly any good seeing, I ended up looking through my kit and updating my logs which was long overdue. I then decided to compile this little list of 'Things to do on Cloudy Nights'! These are some of the things I do, not all at once, but it keeps me and my kit up, ready and in good condition for when the chance arises.
Sharing these with you and I do hope you enjoy them or spark of more ideas of your own. Feel free to add some of your cloudy night Astronomy ideas....hope it helps!

*Pardon the typos and periodic edits! Didn't proof read as much but will from time to time, add & check!
================================================

All of us here can sympathize with each and everyone here when a plan on a certain night, builds up hope, anticipation, anxiety to suddenly have clouds intervene and burst our little AstroObserving bubble! We could roam the streets of Orchard Road, stroll through some nearby Shopping Mall or why not continue being an Astronomer even when you don't see stars? So here are some suggestions to share.

1. Start/Compile/Update your Observation Logs/List

I'm sure all of us have one...don't we? Well isn't it a great time to start one if you have not? There are several Free Software logs on the net which you can find with a quick Google search. Or why not create your own in MSWORD/EXCEL or the handy ever trustworthy Pen and Paper. Log down your sessions location, time, seeing, what you could see, what you hoped but didn't, who was with you, equipment used, how much you saw...etc etc. Little bits of notes that you can always refer to when planning your next Observation. Software Logs have sections that guide you. Or why not just create your own? After all it's aim is to assist you.

2. Plan/Compile Future Observation Lists

The net, books will show and explain whats coming up soon. So plan ahead and make some notes of what you wish to observe. Perhaps pick a specific Constellation, Cluster, Deep Sky Treasures within reach of your scope. Take note of dense populated Constellations, such as Sagittarius, which would probably take you several nights to completely observe! But thats what this List is all about! Don't head out without an idea and try to squeeze everything into one night! You'll only get lost! Print out your list, and bring them down to the Ob site. Refer and hunt! Examples like moving West to East, or North to South, maybe just Nebulae's, Clusters or Constellations per project. Whatever tickles your fancy, keep within your timing, equipment reach and safety!

3. Review your previous Sessions

Was the last Ob site worthwhile? Was it safe, light pollution quality? Access to location? Or maybe need a new Ob partner? What went right and what went wrong. Be honest and truthful! Was the equipment I took, adequate for my needs? Am I trying too hard to impress, lug or do too much in a few hours? Is this location safe? Who can I call in an Emergency or if something happens?
Every session is different and sometimes just observing a single object the whole night, you will gain more to benefit from, then jumping around all night! How can I improve my sessions? Do I need more kit, re-pack my existing,...whats my aim? Have a game plan and don't hey caught up on what everyone else is doing. They have their plans...and you should to.

4. Inspect/maintain your scope/scopes

Check the objectives, secondary's, focuser. Grab a blower and zap those dust away. Unless soiled from finger prints, only then should you really need to use some cleaning fluid. Take a small soft paintbrush and dust away around and in corners, screws/nuts, hard to reach focuser areas. Avoid relying on WD40 too much! It's a degreaser and not greaser! So it will dry up metal more than protect it! For a quick fix, yes, but long term, some good quality teflon/lithium grease in a tiny amount can be rubbed on metal parts! They are waterproof and will last!
If your competant 7 confidant then you may wish to dismantle your scope for a all out clean....but not really needed unless severe misuse is obvious! A Small amount of car wax makes a good outside tube cleaner and polisher and gives your scope a nice sheen and shine!! Check Crayford tension screws, drawtubes and those small little hex nuts that hold knobs to axles. They do get loose and you tend to find out at the last minute! Tighten them up, but don't overdo the tightness!

5. Inspect your Observing Kit

Check your Observation kit or Astrophotography kit because in the field, or when the sky suddenly wipes clean, you don't want to grab and go with something that will fail and disappoint especially after sweating yourself to location.
Are your Eye pieces in good shape and perhaps need a clean after all those sweaty fingers and hands have been on them for so many times? Dust on your Favourite Imaging CCD? Give it a good blow with a blower. DOn't swipe with a brush or wipe!
What about your toolkit? Small Hex keys in place, screwdrivers, nut drivers, etc etc? Maybe a small tupperware/toolbox is a good investment to store them all if you don't have one. Do you need to add a new tool?
Maybe it's time to re-inventory your EP's? Time to change kit and sell some stuff off? Or grab new ones to have a wider collection? Batteries all charged? Maybe a small piece of masking tape on the battery with the last charging date is a good indicator of how much is left in your battery.
Do you find yourself using the same equipment over and over again? If so, some other kits are left alone to cry! Perhaps it's time to re-evaluate and make a sale listing here!
Don't overlook things like your carry bag for your scope. Need new padding? Hooks, braces, stitching all still good? Is the bag in need of a good wash! What about your observing chair if you use one?
Goto systems updated and tested?? Is it all working as planned? Simple things like hemisphere selection can be overlooked and thought off as being a scope that's spoilt! We tend to see the apparent, but fail to realize that the simple causes the most problems!
Any deficiencies in what you bring will greatly effect you on location and can ruin the whole night!

6.Check the web, books, magazines, etc to see whats on tonight or coming up!

An Asteroid heading your way? The ISS passing by quickly? comets? Conjuctions? Where is the constellation you wish to view at tonight at the time you have spared for your observation? Is it too low or nicely at Zenith? What is nicely away from sky glow for the night? But take into consideration the reach of your scope and kit! Don't plan to see nebulae in SG....not with the sky glow, but you could use 'Astronomy Sketches' to help determine what your looking at is a certain nebular. Print out these sketches and bring them along. They make great references! Build the anxiety, but don't do too much in one night! If its comets, then gear up for it. Unless you can lug everything down, it's pointless to do alot switching kit here and there! I enjoy setting up, target an object and thats it for the whole night! Observe stars, young and old, hot and cold, take notes. You never know, if an amateur can spot a supernovae who knows...it could be you! You need those notes!

7. Learn the Sky

Star Atlas's, Software's like Stellarium, Red Shift, etc can really be beneficial on cloudy nights! How far is a cluster from a reference star and plan your star hops! See how the constellation is formed from star to star. Their magnitude, location, etc. Which constellations have lots to see? Sagittarius, Orion are some of the fun ones. When you have a general idea and finally putting this in practice during your observation, you will find how much you now remember and how it will help from one session to the next! Your now and Astronomer!!!

8. Get to know your GOTO!

Telescope technology is wonderful! But each have their own goods and bad. Sometimes we switch systems and brands and their computerized Goto menus may work differently. Does it need a firmware upgrade? Surf the web for info and user thoughts. They may mention something that will help you when your system fails! Or perhaps a shortcut! Or even a simple upgrade which you didn't know existed!
No instructions? GRab one of the web or shout out here in the forums...it may well exist for you to make a copy. Whats the good and bad about your current Goto system? Knowing and understanding it's strengths and weaknesses will make your Goto work flawlessly in the field infront of everyone. Lay your hands on every part of your scope, mount, Goto system! Get to know them by name and what it does! Believe me, it will help when the moment calls for!!

9. Dream Big

Hey why Not!! Wish for a bigger scope? Need to save and not eat meals everyday? Ok Ok...don't do that, but you get what I mean! Have an aim. And most of all....DON'T be disappointed with your current set up! Don't feel intimidated by the expensive luxury scopes all around you! They may see deeper, but they all still see stars!! Doesn't matter if it's an Acro/Apo scope...to a beginner observer, or seasoned one, color fringing doesn't spoil viewing much! Unless you wish to be critical...it's not a problem!
Make a wish list...and work towards what is affordable within your budget. Or compare and see what your really need the most rather than another scope which may not get used or no place to store!

10. Who needs Dark sites?

Sessions don't always need dark sites. Get together at a a central located Kopi Tiam, Coffee house, Bistro and chat over kopi and drinks. Swap stories, kit, books or share stories! Grab ideas and get suggestions. Obtain feedback and get to know everyone. If you can take ONE small thing home that helps,...it was a worthwhile session. Talk geek talk or just grumble at how your spouse doesn't fancy your hobby but is amazed at Saturn's Rings, Jupiter's storms and the images you take...lol!

11. Indulge in some DIY/Modification

Change some screws out to stainless steel ones. Grab a piece and use it as a sample at the Hardware store. Tripod screws are prone to rust.
Make something outta nothing. DIY can be anything you wish it to be. As long as it works for you, even though it's just duct tape all over...but it keeps your mind going for improvements over it.
The good thing about telescopes and their equipment, is that many everyday household/hardware items are adaptable from screws, nuts, brackets, PVC tubes, velcro, wood, caps, etc etc....all it takes is some elbow grease and imagination. Seek help when in doubt. Many here will be happy to help or maybe even get involved. Post it up for suggestions and ideas. Doesn't matter if you really do make it. In the end it may benefit you or someone else.

Lastly....HAVE FUN!!

===============================================

Well thats all my head can think of for now! IF anyone else has something to add please do. It may/may not help, but it will sure give someone something to do instead of aimless wondering when the skies will clear!
Hope it helps, and when I get something I'll add as I go along...for now, Clear Skies,...or Cloudy?..No probs. I have something to do for an Astronomy Fix!!

[smilie=cute.gif] [smilie=bye.gif]
Last edited by timatworksg on Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:38 am, edited 10 times in total.
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
andeelym

Post by andeelym »

Great list Tim!
mch3898

Post by mch3898 »

Hi Tim,

The past night was not that great. I went about building a library of dark frames and bias frames. I guess it is not as good as doing the darks in-between shooting the lights because it is best to have them at the same chip temp. But given our tropical climes, we do not experience too wide a temp range, I wonder if this will be ok, generally. Appreciate if any views or advise on this.
christopher
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Hi Chris,

Not sure on this as I merely skimmed this topic several times. Hmmm...perhaps I should go read more on places which I skipped. But if I'm not mistaken, the process software gets it's info from the images, (colors, bias, luminence, etc) from the files info at time taken to aid in the processing. I have heard of some software that can create darks for cases when darks were not done....but think it would be hard to find as these were old software creations. Perhaps someone here can help on this...!

However, when I do pop over to your place soon. lemme look at your Andromedia image again....I think it could do with some PS layer masking as with most DSO images are done. I can show you how which should bring out the arms and still get a decently exposed core.
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
mch3898

Post by mch3898 »

@timatworksg

Thanks Tim. Just posted another attempt at the Andromeda galaxy. Slight improvement over the last one I showed you. But still far from a good pic. Great if you can help
christopher
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Most definately will! Will call you soon!!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Nice info. Adding a couple here:

1. Start a private/public blog

You can use free blogging services to log your observation sessions.

2. Spend plenty of time with your loved ones

Spend so much time with them until they feel very guilty. Then, when the monsoon season is over, you can observe all you want with minimal complains. :P
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.