How does vender keep the telescope

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

kEEPING FUNGUS FREE

Post by kochu »

I think the easiest way is to buy a thick gauge large transparent plastic bag suitable for your scope, (about 1.5 $), half a can of Silicagel (2.5 $) and a hygrometer,.( 8 $) , to be packed inside the bag along with the scope and keep the bag tied up to keep scope air tight. The silicagel to be recycled once a week or whenever you take the scope out, in between.

Recently I purchased a Minihumidifier from Olee, for 99 $ which can keep a large air tight cupboard under 50 RH and it is a good thing to have. Power consumption is also low , I think about 20 W. It is enough to run it about 12 hrs , with atimer.

Kochu/3-1-11
===========.
Junming-jm

Re: kEEPING FUNGUS FREE

Post by Junming-jm »

kochu wrote:I think the easiest way is to buy a thick gauge large transparent plastic bag suitable for your scope, (about 1.5 $), half a can of Silicagel (2.5 $) and a hygrometer,.( 8 $) , to be packed inside the bag along with the scope and keep the bag tied up to keep scope air tight. The silicagel to be recycled once a week or whenever you take the scope out, in between.

Recently I purchased a Minihumidifier from Olee, for 99 $ which can keep a large air tight cupboard under 50 RH and it is a good thing to have. Power consumption is also low , I think about 20 W. It is enough to run it about 12 hrs , with atimer.

Kochu/3-1-11
===========.
ya i notice the olee product . btw where you get air tight cupboard?
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Eh where to buy $8 hygrometer? All the hardware shops I've been to don't have one and the ones at home fix-it are $30+
DON'T PANIC
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

PURCHASE ITEMS

Post by kochu »

Cupboard has to be made air-tight by lining the openings and door joints with sponge or rubber beads or vinyl door-scrappers available at Daiso.

8 $ hygrometer is available at at a level -1 shop at Sim lim Tower. They also have a 15 $ large dial hygrometer which looks a better make. Digital hygrometers are more expensive.

Kochu
Junming-jm

Post by Junming-jm »

as long accurate then worth buying
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

i don't really see the need for an accurate hygrometer. it's not like the dehumidifier can maintain a certain relative humidity accurately. I'd say anything less than 50% is good.. a blinking light would be enough, a big-dial hygrometer is overkill.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

But a big-dial hygrometer looks nice.... And good education for my kids :)
DON'T PANIC
andeelym

Post by andeelym »

Try dealextreme, I saw one at USD5.90 with free worldwide shipping, but have to wait probably 3 weeks to a month for it to reach you.