I am new!

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
kensou

I am new!

Post by kensou »

Hello all! A great forum that I stumble upon! During my poly life in SP, I been to this place at Bintan with all different clubs and on the 1st night, the Astro Club brought out their dua leng gong out on a clear sky! Not even a single cloud on cloud9! Milky way was way way way clearer than you could have imagine.

That really took me into Astro alot. They have a super sized telescope and super sized binoculars. But I dun remember what are the magnification thou. But when viewing venus, you can see it move so fast that within a few seconds you have to ask for help to adjust the telescope before you can see again!

Right now I would like to look into getting a sizeable bino to start off with viewing the sky! Although I always fail to identifying all the constellation :(

1 of my dreams to fulfill is to see aurora and comet (if its even possible) haha
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Hi Ken,
Welcome to Singastro :)
Unfortunately we do have quite significant light pollution so even the constellations are not easy to make out. Venus, Jupiter and Saturn are quite easy to spot when they are in the sky :)
Comets are definitely do-able when they come around although the aurora is not visible at our latitude. For the Aurora you could try Fairbanks, Alaska during the winter months (24hr sunlight in the summer so no aurora. Yep, 24hr darkness in Winter) which is known as the aurora capital of the world. A word of advice: Temps are often -20C to -60C so get warm gear! I think hotels are cheaper during that season :) Alternatively Northern Europe may be viable as well.
For binos, try to get a 7x50 or 10x50 set (50 being the size of the lens and 7 being the magnification). I'm not sure if anyone is selling a spare set here :)
DON'T PANIC
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

Hihi, i am a newbird like you lol
Welcome!
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
kensou

Post by kensou »

Yea, I even seen Pleiades before! What a nice question mark open cluster that is! Haha.

Aurora I know greenland can view too! Just need the cold hard cash to travel there T_T

I saw your another post on about 12X60.. haha it was the black friday sales right? I'll see what I can get for around $100+
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Welcome! just watch out for ob session in this forum and join the fun. You can get 1st hand info and hands on during the session.
kensou

Post by kensou »

Yea shirox! Well I am not really newbird.. I know alot of bits and pieces which I dun know if it is correct anot.. But I definitely know quite a fair bit! hehe
kensou

Post by kensou »

This 2months is not the season of sky viewing man look at the thicket of clouds haha. I would like to have an ob session at pulau ubin quarry thou! Looks fun, both feeding the mosquitoes and looking at stars.
cloud_cover

Post by cloud_cover »

P. Ubin quarry sounds nice but lugging equipment into bumboat..... hmmm........
Unfortunately there's interest in my Bino already. I initially bought it with intent to use it on a light tripod but the mount I subsequently got is a sideways oriented mount so with a bino the eyepieces would be vertical. Which would be uncomfortable, to say the least.
If the guy backs out I'll let you know :)
Having said that, 12x60 is not the best for hand-holding as the mag is quite high - may be shaky.
DON'T PANIC
kensou

Post by kensou »

time to flex some muscles! hahha is it mountable anyway? get a 1 leg mount for easy move around :P
Alrite if he backs out let me know.. I dun mind bigger bino anyway i prefer better experience den overview.. as in Singapore there is not much nice overview to look at, I prefer going into finer details.. but I know telescope would be too ex for me haha
cloud_cover

Post by cloud_cover »

Actually telescope may not be too ex: rlow is selling an Orion Starblast for less than $200. Its a 4.5" reflector with table top dobsonian type mount. It will fit the bill for a starter scope that is light and easy enough to handle and it gives good views :)
And you can't beat the price!
DON'T PANIC