For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
marilyndc

Post by marilyndc »

hey guys. i never knew of such a site until an hour ago:) so im relatively new here and i love astronomy! are there lots of frequent gatherings or activities?
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Re: NEWBIE

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Welcome to SingAstro!!
marilyndc wrote:hey guys. i never knew of such a site until an hour ago:) so im relatively new here and i love astronomy! are there lots of frequent gatherings or activities?
Usually, there'll be lots of activities if the weather is good and seem like weather is improving... :)

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
kensou

Post by kensou »

Welcome! did u see us from facebook? :D
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

Welcome to singastro!
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Welcome to Singastro.
Viewing the skies are all free. Its the equipment that cost money!
But you can always tag along the obs to use other's telescopes. Remus has his sessions in Eunos while Weixing manages the Tampines Singastro ClearSkyNetwork CSN. [smilie=cool.gif]

Do remember to read up on the faq to get started. [smilie=cute.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Welcome and warm wishes!

As mentioned, many outings are organized so stay posted here. Due to the unpredictable weather these past months, it is pretty much a hit and miss affair. But it is clearing and once the hot weather comes in, I am sure more gatherings will happen all over the island.

It is a helpful forum here and much knowledge from various individuals. Keep in touch and ask away!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Welcome to Singastro, watch out for the ob posting in the forum and tag along.
marilyndc

Post by marilyndc »

wow! thanks for all the welcome wishes:) this is very exciting. i actually goggled 'astronomy in sg' cos i wanted more friends who liked the same thing as i did and this came out!

out of curiosity, whats this tampines clearskynetwork thing cos i live in tamp and i havent came across anything like that.

also! i dont exactly know how to go about observing the skies. i just happen to read more than have hands-on experience. so is it okay if i come tag and learn along the way? [smilie=confused.gif]
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

i am also a newbie and the people here are very friendly. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. [smilie=cute.gif]
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Hi Marilyn!
Welcome to Singastro!
Remus (rcj) usually has a session on Friday nights at Eunos, and there's also usually a monthly outing to Punggai over the new moon weekend :)
Don't worry about buying equipment for now, most of us will be very happy to show you our stuff (that's what boys do with their toys) and share during the observations sessions.
I see you listed aviation as your interest: If you do have a PPL I'm sure some of us will be happy to pony up the cash for fuel and rental to fly into some remote places for obs sessions
DON'T PANIC