Grease

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Junming-jm

Grease

Post by Junming-jm »

Where and what grease should I buy for ball bearing in focuser.
When you saw me on your optical lens or mirror it is late.
tungkian

Post by tungkian »

i find no need to grease the bearings in the focuser (crayford).

if its rack and pinion, then use THICK lithium grease (apply a little though). no runny ones, in case u store ur scope pointing downwards and some flows towards the lens..

you can get grease from home fix..spray some onto a clean surface. and apply with ur fingers. don't spray directly on the surfaces to be greased
wei

Post by wei »

Hi, anyone knows which grease is best for mounts? Like to remove the old nasty ones and re-applying a new one?
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

I stripped my Orion Sirius EQG, washed the bearings, collars and shafts in Soapy(Dynamo) hot water, wiped dry and allowed to Air Dry! Then used High-Temp Lithium white grease and lots of it (well not to the point of dripping, but chunks, as it does not run, provides water proofing and repels dirt! I also use the grease to coat my pier bolts! You can check for such grease at Hardware shops like tungkian mentioned, or those that cater to contractors. Sometimes they may sell a small tub! This grease is thick enough for some friction but not sticky like the Honey Glazed china yellow stuff...yeeeuck!

As for focusers, a small amount applied with a paint brush to the rack and pinion focuser teeth will do! Don't overdo it as it collects dirt and too much leaves residue all over!
If crayfords...the bearings should be ok as it is! If you do wish to grease, tiny amounts and work them into the bearing. If you can remove the bearing, put a small drop on your palm and press the bearing over it, then spin it around flat on your palm so the grease gets worked in. Dab away access and replace!
As for a Crayford tube,...I find using Cream based car polish the best. It gives a nice shine, coats it with enough friction and smoothness! Use it as you would polish a car!
Avoid using WD40 for lubrication, as too much will drip and run! FYI...WD40 is a de-greaser and not a greaser! It's a quick solution to a stuck problem but dries chains, gears and bearings up eventually after prolonged use! It's good for initial cleaning and wiped away. Thereafter suitable grease is applied.
If you stay in the East I can pass you a blob of grease...lol! After all we don't need a whole tub or tube and in fact end up using a mere 2-5% haha!
Lastly. use brushes to apply to gear teeth. Have lotsa rags handy and wash your hands clean after use! Remember what goes on your skin goes into you too!

Some feedback and hope it helps!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!