Hello! New here :)!

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Ke Jun

Hello! New here :)!

Post by Ke Jun »

hi people! I'm new to astronomy. currently still looking for that "right" hobby that I will continue for a long time... Hopefully [smilie=depressed2.gif] ...

so I want to start up my astronomy hobby with something at a low price. basically my budget is around [smilie=admire.gif] 300 (won't be spending so much if i don't like it -_-)?

any suggestions or anyone of you selling something that can fit into this pathetic price range [smilie=confused.gif]

cheers! [smilie=bye.gif]
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Hi Ke Jun,

Welcome to singastro. Do you live in a pte property or plan to observe in school? I have this table top 4.25 inch newtonian known as the edmund scientifc astroscan telescope for sale. It is simple to use, rugged and low maintenance, but since it is table top, you got to use it on a table. I am offering it for 420 sgd
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Its not a pathetic price range :) Astro can be done even with your naked eyes which will cost you nothing!
I also have a pair of Meade 12x60 binos which is reserved for someone but he hasn't contacted me for 3 weeks now, I'm selling at $65.
DON'T PANIC
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,Ke Jun
I am a old guy--now 50++ who started at the age of 10.Actually in the good old days,no need to spend.The first thing is to be able to recognise some --star pattern--and hence buy a cheapo star map--or photocopy one--and start recognising say Orion,Southern cross--the easy one.Then,join in some obs session to see the scope and then do buying according to your likes.My 2 cents.
letburn

Post by letburn »

welcome ke jun !

agree to cloud cover , i started off my baby steps in astronomy with just one simple field mat and clear skies . get to know the skies first , read up webbies and books !

observing with a simple but decent performing binoculars can really inspire you to go further !
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

One of the best ways to be meet the experienced guys here and ask them questions. They usually have ob sessions quite frequently depending on weather and can cancel last min due to cloudy skies.
Lastly have fun and be amazed by the wonders of the universe.
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

welcome to singastro!
My advice is to join weixing's sessions at tampines or remus' sessions at eunos and appreciate what type of equipment is available before deciding what to buy. By then you would have saved more than $300! [smilie=cute.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Junming-jm

Post by Junming-jm »

Yes finally some one same age as me. Anyway if you live at north side maybe you wanna come join us,me and kensou, on obs session every friday . Both of us own a small scopes but different design and mount .If you are interested you can drop me a pm or sms me , 98989257. Hope to see you this friday .
When you saw me on your optical lens or mirror it is late.
kensou

Post by kensou »

yay! welcome welcome! :) Do join us in obs session in sembawang every friday if you live in north side, my place have good viewing skies ^^
Ke Jun

Post by Ke Jun »

One of the best ways to be meet the experienced guys here and ask them questions. They usually have ob sessions quite frequently depending on weather and can cancel last min due to cloudy skies.
Lastly have fun and be amazed by the wonders of the universe.
welcome to singastro!
My advice is to join weixing's sessions at tampines or remus' sessions at eunos and appreciate what type of equipment is available before deciding what to buy. By then you would have saved more than $300! cute
Yes finally some one same age than me. Anyway if you live at north side maybe you wanna come join us,me and kensou, on obs session every friday . Both of us own a small scopes but different design and mount .If you are interested you can drop me a pm or sms me , 98989257. Hope to see you this friday .
yay! welcome welcome! smile Do join us in obs session in sembawang every friday if you live in north side, my place have good viewing skies ^^
thanks for all the advice, will stay around the forum to pick up a few tips first [smilie=victory.gif]

currently a lot going on. have 'o' level to worry about [smilie=studying.gif] . by the time i finish my 'o' level, will be able to work and earn some revenue. plus have quite a handful of information about astronomy by then.

btw, sorry kensou... living quite far from the north >.< i'm situated in the west [smilie=woa.gif]

cheers! [smilie=relax2.gif]