16 inch telescope

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Richard, I had the same impression of the $750 16" mirror. It might be spherical for all we know!

I just got my CGEM (haven't seen it yet as am in MY) but I will now get a chance to compare the bulk of that, to my old 10" dob.

The litescope designs are really quite nice, actually. I think they are very reasonably priced.
rlow

Post by rlow »

orly_andico wrote:The litescope designs are really quite nice, actually. I think they are very reasonably priced.
That's a cool minimalist scope; I don't know if they adopt Ross Sackett's design or vice versa. I see that they also have 16" versions. If you are getting one, do show it to us, as it would be great to see it in action!
Richard Low
perseid
Vendor

Post by perseid »

I have the GSO 16" truss tube telescope available if you are interested. I have set it up once and go under the night sky once. After that I dismantle it as it eats up tonnes of space.

It is much easier to get the full set than building your own scope using ready made optics. You will encounter many problems along the way and you'll waste a lot of time and money.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Perseid. Can show some photos of the telescope? Though I will not be able to afford it, but it will be nice to look at the photos and dream about owning one at least. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

16 inch dob

Post by kochu »

perseid wrote:I have the GSO 16" truss tube telescope available if you are interested. I have set it up once and go under the night sky once. After that I dismantle it as it eats up tonnes of space.

It is much easier to get the full set than building your own scope using ready made optics. You will encounter many problems along the way and you'll waste a lot of time and money.
I fully agree with CK. The real reason I did not go ahead with Zhitong scope was
Mirror cost+Shipping cost+cost of cell+secondary+focusser+ finder+woodworks+bearings+Misc items+Man hours wasted +my lousy workmanship= a crude DOB of its own mind and ways.

It would be better to buy a GSO or Lightbridge.

Kochu/16-3-11
perseid
Vendor

Post by perseid »

Gary wrote:Hi Perseid. Can show some photos of the telescope? Though I will not be able to afford it, but it will be nice to look at the photos and dream about owning one at least. :)

It is the same on as seen here except that the one I have is black in colour.
http://www.gs-telescope.com/content.asp?id=113

BTW, I would like to get 'rid' of the scope as I am not using it. I can let it go for RM6500.
perseid
Vendor

Re: 16 inch dob

Post by perseid »

kochu wrote:
perseid wrote:I have the GSO 16" truss tube telescope available if you are interested. I have set it up once and go under the night sky once. After that I dismantle it as it eats up tonnes of space.

I fully agree with CK. The real reason I did not go ahead with Zhitong scope was
Mirror cost+Shipping cost+cost of cell+secondary+focusser+ finder+woodworks+bearings+Misc items+Man hours wasted +my lousy workmanship= a crude DOB of its own mind and ways.

It would be better to buy a GSO or Lightbridge.

Kochu/16-3-11
If we are not in the 80s or even 90s, making your own big telescope project sounds worth the trouble. But now days, it is much easier and cheaper to just buy one. No need to take so much panadol too.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Thanks Perseid. Embedding the photo here for others to drool. :)

GSO 16" Truss Dobsonian

Last edited by Gary on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Well the cost of that is not just the purchase cost.. but also the SUV you will need to transport it!

The litescope is also sold as a kit. This would mean a substantial savings on shipping.
rlow

Post by rlow »

C'mon guys, 

If TS wants to build his own reflector, we could try to be more supportive and give some encouragement.

TS is a foreigner and very new to this forum, but instead of welcoming him, it seems that we threw a "wet blanket" on his DIY plan. Some of the remarks made may seem quite negative, unnecessary or inappropriate. 

In other forums where there are Amatuer Telescope Making (ATM) communities, this doesn't happen. If we want to cultivate a DIY culture and ATM community, we should encourage and support. If we go on like this, others may be discouraged from posting on such a topic in future.   

Those who desire to build a scope usually have some skills, resources, time and money to do the project. Amatuer Telescope Makers (ATMers) may have specific design goals which needs customized scope solution, hence the need to build your own scope. It is always possible to build a quality dob cheaper than a premium dob. And there is always the personal pride and satisfaction in completing and using your own self-built scope, regardless of the time or money expended. A self-made dob need not necessarily be a work-of-art. Which is better - build a crude-looking dob that no-one gives a 2nd glance, but this scope gives smooth motion and produces superb planetary performance, or to build a cool-looking lightweight gizmo-dob that everyone likes to look at but doesn't perform well optically or mechanically?  

Of course I can understand this coming from a vendor who wants you to buy his scope rather then to build one....

Choon Kiat, sorry that I have to say this, as I know you wanted to be helpful, but perhaps you could have highlight your scope in the appropriate vendor ads sub-forum and hint on that rather than "advertise" here and make comments countering TS' project. In another forum, such inappropriate act will infringe TOS and result in the vendor receiving a 6-month ban from using that forum (:
Richard Low