Observing Omega centauri

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Observing Omega centauri

Post by cloud_cover »

I dragged out the 'ol cat for a spot of observing on Supermoon night..... observed everything except the moon! (No moon filter, didn't feel like going blind that night)
I tried looking at Omega Centauri: All I could see was a blob of lightness in the VMC200L using a Nagler 9mm. Is that right? Am I supposed to see a very tight collection of stars or is it just a blob of light visually?
Of course the moon was in they sky but still.....
Incidentally I only managed to get an averted view of the Eta carinae nebula with a visual OIII filter - even my UHC filter wasn't enough to cut through the glare of the moon and city. Sigh!
DON'T PANIC
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

i used a 24mm hyperion in punggai was able to see the stars that was pack to the core lol
Maybe its just singapore and the Full moon hahaha
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Don't Panic! Its the supermoon night... On a clear moonless night in Singapore, you will be able easily resolve the cluster with an 8" scope :)
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Hmm..... this shows that a Hyperion 24 has superior optics and resolution to the Nagler 9 *grin*

Probably the full moon and Singapore skies. I swear OC was brighter and more distinct during a moonless night with my Nikon 10x50 than it was through the VMC that night.
Last edited by cloud_cover on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DON'T PANIC
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Any condensation on mirrors? Could also be due to some currents with the open tube and short length.
But was probably due to the SuperMoon. OC at 30degrees puts it at the moon's glow edge. I was doing some AP that night and had to wait till after 1230am Sunday morn to start. The glow was strong! Plus some thin layers of mist, it tends to soften lots of targets. Try again when it's much better after this spot of rain.
As acc mentioned, it's easy to resolve once those glow factors are gone.
Just a thought.
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!