Getting friend to buy telescope from US

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
li.peng

Getting friend to buy telescope from US

Post by li.peng »

Hi all,

I'm new here. Been lurking around this forum for a few weeks and am happy to see that Singapore has a small but enthusiastic group of star gazers here.

Here's the thing, I'm new to astronomy and I know that I should start with a pair of binoculars. However, now that my friend is on a business trip in US, I am presented with an opportunity to get him to buy a telescope back.

I have a few questions before proceeding to buy the telescope (which by the way, I more or less confirm to be Orion Starblast 4.5 EQ):

1. The box for the Orion is about 1m long and from what I see in telescope.com, there seems to be little cushioning in the box. Is check-in baggage feasible without damaging the telescope? (my friend has confirmed he is not able to hand carry it)
2. If not, then will shipping cost end up to be the same as buying it from astrobargain?
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

i'd avoid the starblast 4.5eq for the simple reason that the mount sucks. i would suggest the starblast 6 or 4.5 on the dobsonian mount.

it will still be cheaper to order it in the US, even if your friend does not check-baggage it. you can pay Comgateway to ship it. i have learned from painful experience that the excess weight charge for checked baggage is more than what Comgateway charges.

the starblast 4.5eq is $230 USD shipped, which is $285 SGD. if you can wait, hang out here on the forum until someone sells their stuff. You can get a huge discount by buying used. for example, Joyce is selling that Vixen Porta for $170 (unfortunately for you, somebody already reserved it). That's a far better mount than any creaky EQ-1 clone.

You'd still have $100-odd for a telescope, which may not seem like much, but with some patience you will be able to find one here on the forums (like.. that ETX90 tube somebody else is selling)
li.peng

Post by li.peng »

Thanks for the reply, Andico.

I have read reviews that mentioned the eq mount is not as good, but I do not wish to go for the dob mount as I do not have a high enough platform at home to place the telescope on.

As I mention, I am new to astro and wish to start out with a small investment and concentrate more on getting myself familar with a telescope and their basic features. Therefore, I found the Starblast to suit both my budget and requirements (at the moment).

I have checked out comgateway as you suggested. From what I understand, the 4.5eq cost $230USD to a US address, but it did not advised on how much it would be to ship to Singapore.

This leads me to another question. How much cheaper would it be to ship it straight from US than to buy it from astrobargain? As I see, most people mentioned that astrobargain has quite a reasonable pricing, but the starblast eq on the website cost slightly above S$600. The same 4.5eq on telescope.com quotes $230USD, does that mean shipping cost is $200 (which is almost the price of another telescope)? Or am I missing out on some other factors that might cause the huge price difference?

Sorry if I seem to be over analyzing stuff. Just trying to make sure I start out on the right foot. Here's an advance thanks to further replies.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Shipping from US to SG would be around S$150 to S$200 via Comgateway. Direct shipping from a US dealer to SG would cost much much more, it's not worth exploring.

The price of S$600 includes margin and overhead. Imagine, if your scope is broken, then Astrobargains would have to make it good. So they have to cover that cost.

If you really insist on an EQ mount, don't get the EQ-1. Get the CG-4 at least. I had two EQ-1's and I can tell you it's not worth having.

If you don't mind used, this guy is selling an 8" f4 Orion reflector with the Sky View Pro mount for US$160
http://www.cloudynights.com/classifieds ... =10&page=2

but no shipping yet. Figure about US$60 domestic shipping to Comgateway and another S$200 for SG shipping, which totals S$472. But that's an 8-inch, and the mount is quite decent.

Kochu here on the forum has been selling an 8" Meade SN-8 with mount for $600. The mount is GoTo but the controller doesn't work. You can get a working controller for US$80. Admittedly these prices are higher already but definitely a better choice than a new Orion starblast 4.5EQ for S$600!
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

After conversion (even with the low USD now), you'll still not get a better rate than buying in Singapore, because what you're buying is so small that the shipping cost will dominate. Also, you can't verify the quality of the stuff before it is back in Singapore, and your friend may not know how to check. Scouring around the 2nd hand market in this forum will give you cheaper alternatives, plus all those scopes are verified working well, and you can even test them on the spot.

Not everything is worth buying from the US, even if you've a friend who can hand-carry it home.
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
andeelym

Post by andeelym »

Remember to factor in 7% GST if the total cost (including shipping) is more than 400 SGD.
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

I believe rlow is selling a starblast 4.5, maybe you wanna check with him for more details.
Kensou is using the 4.5 now if u want some advice from him. lol
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
li.peng

Post by li.peng »

Thanks for the many advice given, really appreciated it.

I do not mind second hands, it is just that I'm new to telescopes and am not sure how to differentiate between a well kept telescope or a bad condition one through the pictures. Therefore, I generally do not look out for overseas 2nd hand trades.

Guess I'll not be getting my friend to get the telescope from me after all. I'll probably lurk around in the buy and sell section for a while for a beginner set from some reputable forummers here.

Oh ya, and I saw a post on a star party at toa payoh tonight. Will try to drop down and "touch touch feel feel", not forgetting "see see". Will also check with rlow in regards to the starblast. Thanks. :)
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Li Peng.

You should try reading the The Backyard Astronomer's Guide if you have not done so:
http://www.backyardastronomy.com/

There are also books and online resources teaching you how to buy used telescopes. For example, for SCTs, there's Rod Mollise's Used CAT Buyer's Guide.

http://skywatch.brainiac.com/used/used_sct.pdf (free 151-page pdf)

You are more than welcomed to drop by tonight! Hope to see you and do introduce yourself to us when you are here. I guarantee you you will catch some sort of "fever" and you will "revise" your telescope budget after that. LOL. :)

See ya!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.