Observatory from Carpark top floor..

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
kensou

Observatory from Carpark top floor..

Post by kensou »

Can I ask is it invasion of privacy to view stars with telescope at the top of carpark near HDB blocks?

I wanna confirm this so as when I go up to view at Carpark top, at least I can tell the police in no rights they can ask me to leave the premises
andeelym

Post by andeelym »

Should be ok as it is my default mode of viewing. So far so good.
haimi

Post by haimi »

i have for the past few weeks enjoying the views of Saturn from my top carpark deck at mt hse. Even once, a police patrol car drove up to the top deck but didnt even stopped or me being questoned. So shud be fine.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

If they question you, why not invite them to look through the eyepiece without further moving the 'scope? That should prove you're doing soemthing totally legit and harmless :)
DON'T PANIC
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

but what if.. the scope was pointed somewhere else?
kensou

Post by kensou »

nah that time me and Junming encounter some1 who contact the police and ask us what we are doing with our telescope.. and then after that ask us to leave.. zzz I was like wtf lo wanted to shoot him back but dun wan la dun tio dai ji better lol
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

Maybe get yourself some astronomy related t-shirt helps?
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250
vil

Post by vil »

kensou wrote:nah that time me and Junming encounter some1 who contact the police and ask us what we are doing with our telescope.. and then after that ask us to leave.. zzz I was like wtf lo wanted to shoot him back but dun wan la dun tio dai ji better lol
i hope we wont come to a stage whereby we need to apply for a permit to do so...
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

well the whole telescope thing incites queries about invasion-of-privacy / eavesdropping.

it's basically your right to stargaze, versus the concerns of surrounding apartment dwellers about their privacy being intruded upon. all it takes is 1 complaint right. personally.. given the number of molest cases because yelled about in stomp/straits times, i'm not surprised if people are paranoid.

so it's not about Big Brother government requiring permits for everything, but the concerns of other folks. and it's always easier to come down hard on the (telescope-using) minority.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

There is a way to go around this.....

Next time, use a truss tube dob.

Most people have no idea that is a telescope.