Stargazing in open fields

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Agreed, we should figure out who are "neighbors" and potential observation buddies. :)
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

True Orly...lol!

Doubt foreign workers would try to do anything...they have more at risk than us..lol!

Guess if one is to merely Observe the night sky....less equipment is a smaller risk than a full AP set up where all you can do is swing your 8" at them...haha!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

And you're going to use your "long" SV102 refractor as a bat? *grin*
DON'T PANIC
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Speaking of foreign workers.. it seems every crime story in the Straits Times *cough* is about foreign workers perpetrating various shenanigans..
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Yes,the Singapore of yesterday were safe;but not anymore now.There are no more police patrol--walking/in cars now in my area;and replacing that lots of 'come from nowhere cars/lorry/van 'getting a free parking in the road leading to my house after 7 pm(in marine parade GRC).Sometimes suddenly you see someone coming out of those cars after hours--dont know whats they doing inside the car/van--with dark window.I obs at my backyard and on several occasion saw dark figures passing in the backlane--wonder why they dont take the parallel well lighted up road.
Worse still,one of my relative told me that he receive a call telling him to pay a ransom because 'they' had kidnap his wife;he call his wife ;discovered she's safe;call the police but told that they 'cant do anything'.So these innocent looking cars may be up to something--gathering data?or what?.
So,when I observe,I make sure of the following
1)Try to get 2 person involve;and if obs alone,lock the gate and the house gate and hide the key somewhere.;and tell your family member how to react in case... .

2)Carry a powerful torch and some devices which can make loud noice.If someone attack,make noise to scare off the 'thief'.
3)There are instances where foreign workers passing ask me what I am doing.I refuse to answer.Sometimes it doesnt pay to be too friendly because you dont know their real motive.Who know what will happen if you open the door.
Remember,safety first and especially in the time of NO MORE POLICE PATROL,protect yourself FIRST.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

see guys :) my paranoia isn't unjustified. hehehe.
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Thats why I made a Balcony Pier...HAHA!

No matter what, foreigners, robbers, rapist....just plan ahead on safety before planning what to bring! Many times we plan a trip somewhere and never actually plan what to do if things go wrong! How many of us actually count seats to the nearest airplane exit door if it crash lands in the Pacific Ocean in pitch darkness. Floor lights can;t be seen when everyone starts pushing! How many domestic helpers we hire actually know and are competant in First Aid? Yest we leave them to care for those we love.
If we plan and practise the risk is always minimized! It is actually possible. When safety is compromised...things will go wrong!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Post by Sivakis »

Yeah. I guess it's one thing to plan, but another thing to overplan. Agree with superiorstream - it sometimes doesn't lend to be too friendly. Also agree with timatworksg - I always make it a point to know where the emergency exits are on a plane (having worked on one, it's like occupational hazard :P )
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Hmm I am a bit surprised by this paranoia. In all my years of observing in public places in Singapore, I have yet to encounter a single unpleasent incident with locals or foreigners alike (okie, save maybe a few trivial instances where a few got so enthusiastic they were hogging my scope). In any case, if someone is really out to create to trouble for you, intentionally not talking to him will hardly help. Its good to be cautious but being overly suspicious may just spoil the fun.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Most places should be ok unless you hang wads of hundred dollar bills and walk around yelling "I have too much Money!!!".
BTW, the reason why you don't see police patrolling is because of low crime rate. Hence instead of having the police walk aimlessly whole night long, they decided to cut down the numbers and to deploy only when you call them.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets