Stargazing in open fields

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Stargazing in open fields

Post by Sivakis »

There's a plot of empty land just opposite my block. Next to it is the famous Block 85 Bedok North market.

I've been wanting to go down there with my camera and deck chair to shoot the night sky, but been putting it off cos I'm worried if it'll be exactly "safe" - especially if I'm alone.

Anyone had experience shooting alone in open spaces at night? Did it feel safe?
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

I used to think that SG is very safe (compared to other countries at least!) but after reading all these stories about kids getting knifed in hawker centers and women getting raped while walking home.. I'm not so sure!

The rule of thumb back in Philippines (which I think would apply here as well..) is.. safety in numbers. Have some observing buddies along.
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

I would agree about safety in numbers. More so about the possibility of getting robbed. I used to OB from the next door MSCP alone till the worry of someone knocking me out and stealing my EQ mount, C8 and everything else....I chose the balcony option.

Not to say that SG isn't safe but the likelihood of temptation exist between a weird and desperate individual. Unless you can get nearer to a small crowd, try to do so with someone....safety is a sure thing...always.

Whatever the risk taken, the tolerance of the result has to be swallowed.
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

@Orly: Crimes happen everywhere in the world. A matter of more or less...you make it sound like SG so unsafe.. [smilie=desperate.gif]

Anyway, I do agree there is safety in numbers.

I have been observing at the big open field opp bedok reservoir. So far so good...LOL
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

stargazer -- i do realize that SG is probably the safest large city in the world.

but those horror stories of kids getting knifed and gang up on at hawker centers is pretty d*mn scary. i mean it could be you having your prata over there.. I guess it's just the immediacy of the possibility that got me thinking.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

On a more practical note: If you drop small objects onto grass in the night, how on earth do you find them again?
DON'T PANIC
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

@cloud cover
- Buy a new one!! HAHA! With my short sighted eyesight...I just give up! But if you need to screw/unscrew anything....GO SLOW!!

On a side note:
I will admit that SG is safe. We're not here to scare anyone. Most crimes happen when these offenders have been watching and planning for some time. Yes will admit you get the odd few " What did I do? and then attack" incident..which sucks!!
Everything we do has inherent risk involved...even waking up in the morning. It's recognizing these risk and putting in some control measures to reduce it lowers the probability! So maybe Ob nearer to a crowd or a shop. If Obbing past midnight...have a coffee shop or small crowd nearby. Don't drift too far into the darkness where it's hard to run if something happens. It may seem that these risk spoil a great hobby...but it's always better to be safe then not. Why take any chances.
Grab a friend/girl friend?...and Ob. Anyone here living nearby?? Hook up with someone. Make sessions short or Ob downstairs at a nearby void deck. Who knows you could be the next Gary..lol!!

I once had an American Student who was his first time visiting Singapore in my Offshore Safety class. He asked " Doesn't Singapore have a Police Force??" ........I felt Damn Proud to hear that!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Post by Sivakis »

Yeah, I guess you all covered my worries :)

It's more like crimes of opportunity that's the concern - someone sees a person sitting alone in the dark with a telescope or with a DSLR, it's like setting oneself up to be bait...

but of course, I know that if I let this concern rule my life, then might as well don't go out :P
Gary

Post by Gary »

@cloud cover: Do nothing. Get a good night of sleep. Go back to the same field next day in the day time and find it easily under bright sunlight. Chances are, it will still be there. LOL. :)

I think the conclusion we reach here is safety in numbers no matter what country you are in. So I suggest forum members state the general area they are located in Singapore in their profile (can be just north, south, east, west, central) so that it is easier for other members to hook up with one another and observe together.

Stating your qualifications in any fighting arts in your profile is very useful too. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

Well, I setup the scope in bright area and does whatever necessary alignment before carrying the scope to the dark open field.

It helps also my scope is light and I have limited accessories - all contain in a box [smilie=ahaaah.gif]

Btw, I do get curious looks from foreign workers as they walk by...well..they are a friendly bunch...so no worries [smilie=angel.gif]