Stargazing in open fields

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Well,it depends on where you stay;and if I stay at oxley road,I am sure I can obs the whole night without any stranger;but if you are staying like me near a whole row of foreign worker dorm-ha.ha.Just days ago,with 3 days of holiday,a hugh lorry park at Jln raya blocking one lane of the 2 lane-2 way road for the full 3 days and no summon;obviously a direct consequence of NO POLICE PATROL.Low crime?;just park your slightly more expensive bike near my place and both wheels will disappear overnight.Even newspaper disappear if left hanging on the fence for long.Dont have a false sense of safety,otherwise you will repent.Thats why for me--safety first and I will react to the slightest strange sound I heard and be TOTALLY aware of your surrounding and whos beside you when you obs in the open.Be friendly to singastroian or Singaporean coming in say as a family;kids;students etc that had established a permanent home here.--my 2 cents.
wudever

Post by wudever »

I would occasionally do my observations alone at Punggol end, at the entrance of Outward Bound. The place is quite dark. The only problem I have there is that it is also a hot spot for lovers.

Imagine bringing a telescope to a lovers park ... hehehe.. At one time, a car high beamed at me LOL!!!

I also do my observations at MSCP. Generally, I feel quite safe.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Ditto about the bike. I've heard so many stories of bikes (even locked/chained) disappearing from HDB void decks. I guess it really does depend on where you observe.
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

The " old " team gathering of singatro-ian haunt is at Lim Chu Kang lane 1a... No lovers cars what ever, just some mad star chasers :)
You will need a car, but it is really dark and eerie, right at the end of the lane is a concrete platform. There is a weird smell, stray dogs running around. We manage to see Omega Centauri with just bear eyes :)

http://maps.google.com.sg/maps?hl=en&q= ... CBcQ8gEwAA
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Sounds likes a great place!
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Post by Sivakis »

No car = no good.... my 2 "kar" can only go so far...
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

What Chee Yuin talk about is the Lim Chu Kang cemetry-I think.A bit weird I think;and unless you go in a big group with a 'watch out force'.;and do inform your family member in case somebody smart enough to use the 'kidnap trick'.Well,the sky there is excellent -no doubt about that.
Concerning bike thief;its true and there seems no will to solve it.For your info,I cycle around Spore since I was twelve(now 58) and is totally experience concerning bike incidences.
Dont believe my claim of those foreign worker getting 'free' parking and weird cars parkall over the shop;.Well come to Jalan Raya now;that 3-day lorry--is now right there blocking that narrow road;and so much for the GREAT CONTRIBUTION of those foreign workers.
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

superiorstream wrote:What Chee Yuin talk about is the Lim Chu Kang cemetry-I think.
No no, not cemetery, but nearer towards the BBC antenna farm location, bolliwood farms etc. but as it is, it is already quite eerie without the cemetery..
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Not cemetry should be ok(cemetry might encounter those 'dirty things that might even follow one back home) if have say 5 gentlemen at least and also bring your fully charged handphone along.Good dark sky is ESSENTIAL for our hobby.Bring some stones and cane to drive away those dogs.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Lets head over one of these nights :) Those with cars can pick up those without from a nearby MRT/bus stop? :)
How about Friday night if not raining?
DON'T PANIC