Got a great new scope, now what ??

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
enewmen

Got a great new scope, now what ??

Post by enewmen »

Hi All.

I finally got a great Celestron C8 and CG5 GEM combination. (I already have some smaller scopes)
So, my first questions are:

Where to take it? I don't have a car (yet). Carry the whole thing on th MRT? Yes, I live in the flats, so I need to carry it a long way just to get away from the tall buildings. How / where do most people to this?

How to align? Getting the latitude is simple enough, but how to point to North? Can't find Polaris, so do I need a good compas? Where to get one?

Bad skies. We know what Singapore skies are, but what are some tricks to work around this haze and light polution? The LPS filters help a little. But how to get through the clouds (the thin layer very high in the sky)? Is there IR or X-Ray imaging that can be done?

Ok thanks!
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

NEW SCOPE??? Sell it and buy a bigger one!!! .......joking!!

Grats Erric on your new toys!! We must get together for an OB nearby!!

No Car?...what I did before was a roller luggage bag large enough to fit both the C8 and mount. The mount head is standing up with the counterweight on in the lower section of the bag. Some tupperware next to it and foam for squeezing. Then a plank of foam above and the C8 on top. Strap down and roll along..lol! Oh yeah...tripod strapped on top of the bag. Cumbersome...yes but rolling a heavy load is way better than carrying it or a fat scope..lol! Unless you see this scope with you for a long time...investing in a Pelican case for everything is a worthwhile investment. Not cheap...but it works very very well!

If your just doing visual...align north with a compass. I just stand point the mount northwards and standing at a distance using a compass, align the mount head with the compass north. Set the Lattitude to 1 degree and let the star alignment do the rest for me. Things to note are....try to avoid getting the compass too near the mount's motors as the magnets can throw it off! Happened when I installed my motors on my old GP which had a small compass built in! Screw that and I had to use a hand held. A relatively good compass will do. I'd avoid the cheapo ones sold to put on your watch or as a plaything. I have a mapping compass from my scouting days...lol!
For DSLR shooting...I do the same and then perform CCD drift alignment.

As for the layer of haze...can't do much really. If the clouds/haze isn't thick, your C8 can get you through them though obscuring the fainter targets. A LP filter helps but always better off to view something when it is past 30-40 degrees up from the horizon!

Gimme a shout if you wish to set up around Pasir Ris...I'd be glad to drop by since we are near each other. I'll be on sabbatical from June onwards!! Time for a job change!! hehe!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Welcome to the C8 club!! :)

I assume you are getting this combo mainly for AP. So perhaps the best solution is to find someone to go out and observe together. Then both of you can share the total weight of the setup and taking MRT/ bus should not be too much of a hassle.

The C8 OTA can be packed into a full size backpack. As I am mainly a visual person for now, this is what I have been doing - C8 and accessories in backpack and PORTA mount/tripod in hand. Sometimes I will disassemble the mount and keep it in the backpack too. I usually wear bermudas with plenty of pockets to load a few more accessories if required.

Manage to take MRT/bus with this combo. The idea is to plan ahead and avoid peak hours so most of time I can even find a seat for myself and my equipment during off-peak hours. So the actually "heavy" carrying and lifting of equipment is relatively brief with lots of rest during the journey.

When I bring my C8 and CG5 for nearby sidewalks, I just put everything on a nice trolley and push to the observation site. Again, plan ahead to avoid all the bumps and steps in the journey. Yes, some people will stare at you on the way but what the heck, my skin is very well thickened by now and the clear skies above cheers me up much more to worry about such stares. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

hi enewman,

There are monthly trips up north for better skies if you wanna take faint objects.
Like Carole who organises Punggai Trips, not forgetting the total darkness Kahang and Mersing.
There are small groups that form up small parties together for stargazing from time to time.
Keep a look out for the forum updates on trips.

lol
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Its been said the best light pollution filter is a few liters of petrol and 4 wheels to get to a dark site :)
Having said that, I've found that managing the exit pupil is the best way to cut through light pollution. Generally for urban locations, you will want an exit pupil of 2-3mm optimally. The exit pupil can be calculated by (Aperture of scope / Magnification ) or ( Focal length of eyepiece / focal ratio of scope)
For me, I've found that when using a UHC filter, an exit pupil of between 2-2.5mm works best. (this works out to a 20mm EP in my VMC200L, an 8" f/9.75 scope) Higher magnifications (shorter eyepieces) result in a darker picture overall and some loss of nebulosity. generally you will want to use filters if you're looking for nebulosity - a good filter can really bring out otherwise invisible nebulosity. But do be forewarned that even if you do see it, its not going to be photo-quality but more of a grey smudge on all but the brightest nebulae.
For unfiltered, I find that an exit pupil of about 1.3mm works best. Generally you will want to use an unfiltered view when looking at broad spectrum objects (i.e. stars and star clusters, galaxies etc). The smaller the exit pupil (therefore the higher the magnification) the greater the contrast between light polluted background and your target object, but go beyond a certain point and some things will get too dark to see.
When looking at bright objects like planets and the moon, generally the limit of magnification is limited by seeing and the qualities of your scope since your target is BRIGHT. However, bringing the exit pupil below 0.5mm may cause significant floaters to be seen which significantly impair the quality of the view.
With regards to alignment, generally a compass alignment is all that is necessary since you're not doing astrophotography. It will take a rather long while for objects to leave your field of view due to mislignment unless you are grossly misaligned. Do take note though that while the CG-5's goto protocol will compensate for misalignment, its tracking will not (i.e. it will compensate for the off-angle when finding your target but it will track at a rate which assumes you are perfectly polar aligned). This is because the declination axis does not move to compensate for tracking error. To counter this, you might want to use your mount's "All-star polar alignment" during your initial alignment procedure. Its simple and relatively quick and definitely more than adequate for visual work :)
Hope it helps!
DON'T PANIC
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Hey Erric!!

Glad to know you've finally "discovered" the local astro forum. :)

Sadly I don't have an answer for the transportability issue though.. there actually is some rule that you cannot carry large objects on the subway. So I guess it's taxi time.
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Erric,

Don't fret if you can't travel far. I will be glad to join you at Pasir Ris Park. Just give me a shout! hmmmm.....now I could do with an EQ mount for this...spend money time!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Welcome to Siingastro, Erric!
You can join in any of the obs session that is conducted frequently. Think you can join Weixing at Tampines. He's good at alignments plus he is a Certified Heavy Load Packer and Carrier. You should see the equipment he carries around when he obs!
As for your C8s setup, nothing that a big back pack stuffed with some can't take care of!
BTW, from your avatar, you're a Dr Who fan ?
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
enewmen

Post by enewmen »

Thanks for all the posts!

The C8 is an awesome scope. When I first assembled it, I was looking out the window at 80x. Thinking, why are those bugs in the way? Then I notice, they where 2 blocks away! I saw threw smaller scopes at more than 80x, but the 80x on a C8 just looks much better.

I know about the exit-pupil and how it makes viewing objects seem dark (more so with a very slow f/ratio), but I didn't think about the EP and LP being releated. I'll give it a try.

Also, what is All-Star Alignment? (another topic) I read the manual and it only talks about 2-star, 1-star, and quick. Is All-Star alignmen a term and not a feature?

Even if I take a taxi, I still need to carry the scope from the street to the viewing site. So, I need a better way to carry this thing around.
I have a backpack made for carrying around scopes and mounts, but the C8 (just the scope) is just too big. Just barely fits. Forget the CG5.

PLEASE suggest a compact and sturdy push-cart to carry my heavy and delicate scope and mount,. Something that folds and has wheels with soft rubber (to help dampin and go over rough ground). I see many of them, but don't know where to buy it.
Somthing that looks like this:
http://www.soundwavesmm.com/rocknroller.htm

If you want to go to viewing at Pasir Ris park and help me finish beer, I'll be happy to go. Just leave me a message. :)
I also plan to visit many outings - like to Malaysia, but I probably won't bring the big scope until I buy my own car.

Yes, I am a Doctor Who fan (mostly the Doctors up to Sylvester McCoy). Also liked Star Wars (4,5,6), and the original Star Trek series (just thought it did a better job showing life in remote space than the newer spinoffs- like 18th centry British navel novels)
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

enewmen wrote:Thanks for all the posts!

The C8 is an awesome scope. When I first assembled it, I was looking out the window at 80x. Thinking, why are those bugs in the way? Then I notice, they where 2 blocks away! I saw threw smaller scopes at more than 80x, but the 80x on a C8 just looks much better.

Yes, I am a Doctor Who fan (mostly the Doctors up to Sylvester McCoy). Also liked Star Wars (4,5,6), and the original Star Trek series (just thought it did a better job showing life in remote space than the newer spinoffs- like 18th centry British navel novels)
haha..I'm a trekker too!
Started with the classics and moved all the way to Enterprise.

As for your C8, its not THAT big. You can get one of the bigger backpacks, not the usual ones. You can also try those pull-along types with the soft cover. They are really cheap but you need to insert lots of foam for protection though.

Live Long and Prosper..
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets