Got a great new scope, now what ??

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

If you want to go to viewing at Pasir Ris park and help me finish beer, I'll be happy to go. Just leave me a message.
Did I hear beer!!! Yum...yum... you are most welcome! [smilie=cute2.gif]
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

If there's beer...I'd be glad to help!! Cat and I can carry the scope and mount for beer...haha!! Erric..will PM you for a get together. Should be sometime end next week if ok! Till then enjoy the wonderful 8"'s of wonder!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
enewmen

Post by enewmen »

Again, thanks for the posts!
But what kind of backpack can carry a C8 AND a CG5?
I can see a big backpack carrying a C8, but what about the mount?

I also have a more lightweight Astrotech Voyager Mount which can handle a C8. But even that needs a big case.

Orion sells big "telescope case" that should fit a CG5. I think I need to order one of those.

BTW, I have EVERY episiode of EVERY Star Trek series, aired and un-aired.
Also, did I mention beer? Available at the next Pasir Ris star party.
Gary

Post by Gary »

This is a photo of my first attempt to trolley the C8 and CG5 to the ob site:

- C8 in backpack
- CG5 with counterweight, half pier and other accessories in the toyogo container box

The trolley was well designed. Throughout the journey, I can control it with just one hand pushing it around. Just a tiny exertion of force at the wrist level I can change the direction of the whole trolley accurately. Was on concrete path all the way. So not sure about pushing it over grass. I heard my back shouting a big "thank you" when the session was over.

"star wars (4,5,6)". Yea, I totally feel you man! LOL :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

"...we were made to suffer. It's our lot in life." - C3PO upon landing on Tantoine desert in the escape Pod from Star Wars Episode 4...hehe!

I used to carry my old C8 in a roller luggage bag which is round in shape. Erric if your willing to try you can have it as I don't have a C8 anymore. That was strapped onto another roller luggage bar (small stand up ones) which housed my Vixen GP and extras! Tripod was either slung or strapped beside the luggage bags. Went down my 2nd floor home, small walkway and up 5 floors via ramps of the MSCP!! Rollin along!

Like Gary...my back was happy! Considering I have a bad back! Anything less would bring the words of Han Solo "....I have a bad feeling about this."

"BURP!" The Force is strong in this one!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Forgot to add, found out from fellow member swimaniac a few weeks ago that it is possible to pack a 8" SCT OTA and cg5 mount into one Pelican 1620 case.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
enewmen

Post by enewmen »

Gary,
Where can I find that kind of trolly?
Also. is the half pier really necessary?
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Erric, the half pier is necessary. Otherwise your CW's will hit the legs at certain positions.
enewmen

Post by enewmen »

orly_andico wrote:Erric, the half pier is necessary. Otherwise your CW's will hit the legs at certain positions.
I thought so.
But I have a bigger problem.
The plastic material near the on/off switch is hitting the Azimuth Alignment Screws. If I remove everything, I the best I can get is 10°.

How do I get the mount down to 1° ?

thanks!
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

you can buy the trolley at carrefour for $80 ish. or DIY Shop has similar ones as well.

not sure about the CG5 ASGT though..