Star constellation Projector

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
reeae

Star constellation Projector

Post by reeae »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and i'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question. haha.

I'm looking for a star constellation projector, anyone kind souls out there have any idea where i can get one of these?

thanks!
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Not exactly cheap, but I've always wanted one of these..

http://www.japantrendshop.com/astrothea ... p-442.html
reeae

Post by reeae »

wah, it's super pricey.. i'm looking for a cheaper alternative. haha
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi reeae. Welcome to Singastro.

Saw the following for sale at Kino bugis a few months ago:

http://kinokuniyacbjbpromotions.blogspo ... -aqua.html

This is cheaper but of course no match in performance for a proper home format kind of projector like those mentioned by Orly. Did not buy the homestar aqua cute book projector as I expect I will get bored of the novelty very soon and I am doubtful how high and how bright such a small unit can project.

Another alternative is to project the free Stellarium software running in a computer/laptop through a projector. Stellarium supports many different modes of projection.

Perhaps you can let us know the context of your wanting of star constellation projector so forum members can give you suitable advise? What do you need it to do? How far to project? How big a screen to project on? It is for a school project or corporate presentation? Personal room entertainment? What's your budget? ...etc.

In any case, do enjoy your stay here and join us for future stargazing sessions.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
reeae

Post by reeae »

Hi gary,

Actually i just want it for personal entertainment for my room. hahaha. but it will be nice if the constellation projector would be fairly accurate. its just for fun though.
SunflowerOfHappiness

Re: Star constellation Projector

Post by SunflowerOfHappiness »

Hi all x)
I just joined! :D
And I bought a toy star constellation projector from Toys R Us cause I was so excited upon seeing one.. and it obviously didnt show very well hehs x)
I really want a projector as well! One I can easily find and buy and is below 50 bucks? >.<
As long as I can see the position of each constellation~
Gary

Post by Gary »

SunflowerOfHappiness wrote:Hi all x)
And I bought a toy star constellation projector from Toys R Us cause I was so excited upon seeing one.. and it obviously didnt show very well hehs x)
I really want a projector as well! One I can easily find and buy and is below 50 bucks? >.<
Hi there. Welcome to the forum!

You may also consider installing Stellarium (www.stellarium.org) to a computer/smart phone, attach a normal/mini projector to it and project stellarium to a wall/ceiling. Might be more cost effective and enjoyable this way as you can use the projector for other non-astro purposes.

Or if you have the moola and into computer gaming, install a wall of computer big monitors and run stellarium. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

SunflowerOfHappiness wrote:Hi all x)
Is that the one made of cardboard and you had to poke the holes yourself? That one is really bad. All it served was as a nightlight because the light was not bright enough to project it up on the ceiling properly. Unless they have changed the design?
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
pocus

Re:

Post by pocus »

orly_andico wrote:Not exactly cheap, but I've always wanted one of these..

http://www.japantrendshop.com/astrothea ... p-442.html
Hi all, I just joined and was surfing for info cos I just got a cool projector!

You can try getting one of these in Toys R Us.
http://www.gadgetsandgear.com/personal-planetarium.html

I feel it's got the same feature as the one from japantrendshop.com but a whole lot cheaper. In fact I got it in United Square's TRU bargain bin(they having sale) for 50 bucks! But it's the last piece and they selling at 50 cos the box is torned....but even without discount it's 99bucks, still cheaper.

My review for this projector is:

Good:
- Timer function (30/60mins), good for switching on before sleeping
- Shooting star gimmick, gives the sky some simple animation, but the path/pattern of the shooting star is always the same.
- rotating lens for the moving sky effect, adjustable speed, from day accurate to x5 the rotating speed. From the manual it's suppose to be accurate.
- adjustable the position based on the day/month if you want a truly accurate position
- nice/sleek design, like a trendy lamp.
- 2 film/negative type, 1 with pure stars, another with zodiac.

Bad:
- The lens is not very wide, you have to tilt it to project a widen space but it'll skew the constellation hence become not accurate, but if tilt correctly I give it benefit of doubt that it'll accurate.
- Only 1 color light.
- shooting star gimmick monotonous.
- rotating lens not consistent esp in fastest rotating speed.

But considering the price...it's not bad already!! I recommend it for beginners or those who just want some ambience and deco.