New to astronomy, what scope to buy?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
jialin343

New to astronomy, what scope to buy?

Post by jialin343 »

[WTB] hi, im new to astronomy and im thinking of purchasing a cheap telescope/binoculars, mainly use for stargazing. i have limited knowledge about the products and functions. any recommendations?
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

hi Jialin, welcome to Singastro :) lol
I believe you are very eager to purchase your first telescope and start exploring the wonders of the universe.
Before you embark on that journey, i would suggest reading up abit on the objects that you can and can not see in the skies.
Also some books like Backyard astronomy offers very detail information not only about cosmos but also towards what type of telescopes, mounts, eyepiece, filters, cameras etc etc.
Regards,
Shirox
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Welcome to the forum :)
Actually, why not "borrow" equipment? Do join some of the stargazing sessions that the folks announce around here and you'll be able to see what kind of equipment does what :)
Also important: what's your budget and are you willing to take used items? Buying second hand really cuts down the costs.
DON'T PANIC
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Jialin. Welcome to Singastro. My recommendation is to make your limited knowledge less limited by reading up on the subject. :)

- Read the Singastro wiki pages:
http://www.singastro.org/web/mediawiki/ ... /Main_Page

- Borrow and read telescope/binoculars and stargazing books and magazines from the library (section 520).

- Understand the pros and cons of the 3 major types of telescope design. Then decide which design best suit your observing preferences and budget.

- You may find my article useful:
http://www.astro.sg/p/buying-telescope.html

Good Luck!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
jialin343

Post by jialin343 »

thank you for all your replies! (:
they are really helpful.
i shall read up more on astro. haha.

and im willing to buy 2nd hands, not sure about budget though.
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Post by Sivakis »

Welcome Jialin343.

I definitely agree with what the others have mentioned above :)

Like you, when I first joined, I was so eager to get my hands on some glass!

Initially I wanted a 10x50 binos or a 15x70 (despite everyone telling me it was going to be heavy with limited field of view.....)

Then I started to look at telescopes... the Bosma Beta and the Celestron StarBlast...

The good thing was.... I resisted all of it! Now I'm just enjoying the journey of astrophotography with my camera, and slowly learning the nightsky 1 cluster and 1 star at a time :P

Best part? I saved a lot of money along the way!
shadowoflight

Post by shadowoflight »

Astronomy for Dummies' a really good book to start with

And if you really must buy something, get that book, and a bino to get familiar with the skies

Then get a scope
Timothy

Post by Timothy »

Thanks Gary, your suggestions is very good. I am looking for it so long. Now i can figure out my thought and choose which type telescope design that is suit for me! Thanks a lot.
Enterprise

Post by Enterprise »

If ur adamant about getting a scope to try i recommend james ling's 6se nexstar, its quite idiot proof, good price and easily to set up and lug around.

But please do go for a few outings before committing yourself to an expensive purchase, a telescope is not like tennis where the racket is low cost and u cant do without it. U can do basic astronomy without any telescope at all.
James Ling

Post by James Ling »

Enterprise wrote:If ur adamant about getting a scope to try i recommend james ling's 6se nexstar, its quite idiot proof, good price and easily to set up and lug around.

But please do go for a few outings before committing yourself to an expensive purchase, a telescope is not like tennis where the racket is low cost and u cant do without it. U can do basic astronomy without any telescope at all.
Yes, the 6SE is really a portable scope to move around....

Its XLT optics and accurate goto functions make it a very useful scope to go for .

You can locate Uranus and Neptune easily with this scope, which I have tried during the testing during one of the recent woodlands multi storey carpark.

REgards

James ling