Celestron PS127EQ

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
ggodetucsamoht

Celestron PS127EQ

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

Had my first light on Jupiter just now, searching around my place here around woodlands area but still couldn't avoid the bright moon light. But later on found a pretty dark spot in-between factories off senoko area. Once got into a relative darker area i began to setup my first scope celestron ps127eq. Peek into the package 20mm Len immediately I saw a disc with at least 4(or maybe 5) dots seating around it. Quite happy for the first sighting after 10-15 years. But the image don't really show to me the capability of the tube, I am not quite convince by the Jupiter color bands and expect the color to be sharper, clearer and brighter. I changed into a 9mm lens(the extra accessories and lens for power seeker models that come with a nice casing) the image don't really speak well either. From 20mm down to 9mm is from 50x to around 100x why size of the Jupiter doesn't seems to double also? Color band don't goes well either. Is it because of the poor lens, moon light too bright, 127eq don't up to standard or my skills to focus the scope?? Please advice me on my new toy which brought not long ago. Thanks you.....
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Congrats on reigniting your passion!
Jupiter is an easy object for a small scope but it really shines at higher magnification if you have good optics and a reasonable amount of aperture.
The views of Jupiter from an 18" scope cannot be described...but 127mm should be able to give you fairly good view if you catch it on a clear night. [smilie=cute.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

the poisoning begins...
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

yup i've seen quite a number of innocents stumble onto this forum *cough* kevin *cough* and before you know it....

at least i can argue that i was poisoned a decade ago :-)
ggodetucsamoht

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

I was poison 15 years back, got myself a miserable 50mm tube a it brought me to some spots on sky back then, now with this fatter version I hope it won't fail my years of no-see-on-sky.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Welcome to SingAstro! [smilie=hi.gif]

Since this is a new scope, I think the newtonian is out of collimation. The manual should provide instruction on how to check and collimate your newtonian to an acceptable level.

By the way, don't have too high expectation... the colour of jupiter will not be as colourful as what you see on photograph... it's actually a bit pale and dull. Also, don't use too high magnification... a small and sharp image is better than a large and blur image.

Happy observating and have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
ggodetucsamoht

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

I am not sure if I hold any good low power lens, or maybe you guys can recommend me one or else I will stick back to the stock lens and the accessories box which I brought separately.

I was alone last night and out at senoko area, good spot but the fear built up as minute and minute past, not on the "ghost" which happen to be on hungry ghost festy but the strange and uncertain society of our island, who know there might be bad guys out there hunting for money but end up me get........so just 10min I packed and drove off.

Trying to look for around my area whom can tag along with me for peeking next time!
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Have you checked your scope's collimation? You would probably want to keep to at most 150x power with your scope. If observing the planets and the moon and the brighter DSOs espy open clusters, you could just about observe in any open area in Singapore cos' our island is too small for you to get to dark skies. Just make sure to shield your eyes and secondary mirror/focuser tube from stray light while observing.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
ggodetucsamoht

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

I am new to Newtonian, doesn't really know if it is well collimated off from the box. Can roughly let me know how can I check on a quick one?
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
ggodetucsamoht wrote:I am new to Newtonian, doesn't really know if it is well collimated off from the box. Can roughly let me know how can I check on a quick one?
A quick way to check: Use the highest magnification(smallest focal length) eyepiece you had and point to a star. Position the star in the view and defocus the star a bit. The pin point star should turn to a "donut"... a bright disc with a black disc in the center. Now position the "donut" in the center of the view. If your collimation is ok, the black disc should be in the center of the bright disc.

See below youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-9FIW3AzX0

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: