Celestron PS127EQ

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
ggodetucsamoht

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

weixing wrote:Hi,
ggodetucsamoht wrote:I am new to Newtonian, doesn't really know if it is well collimated off from the box. Can roughly let me know how can I check on a quick one?
A quick way to check: Use the highest magnification(smallest focal length) eyepiece you had and point to a star. Position the star in the view and defocus the star a bit. The pin point star should turn to a "donut"... a bright disc with a black disc in the center. Now position the "donut" in the center of the view. If your collimation is ok, the black disc should be in the center of the bright disc.

See below youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-9FIW3AzX0

Have a nice day.

Nice and easy way to confirm the collimation, will check it out on some night next week. Thanks!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Thomas?

You may find some potential astro buddies around your area to observe with you by referring to this singastro location map:
http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php?t=9908

This collimation instructional video may be useful:
[video width=640 height=390]http://www.youtube.com/v/YAVGcGEBmCE&hl=en_US&rel=0[/video]
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
bharat

Post by bharat »

@Thomas: I am a Newtonian user like you! I have a Celestron Omni XLT 150. I consider Jupiter as the "beginner's delight", probably the easiest object to spot after moon. Once you have sorted out your collimation, you will amost certainly be able to get a good view of the planet. I am usually able to get a good view of the colours and the bands (although not as bright as they appear in pictures) at about 150x and if conditions are good and not too windy, even at 300x after adding a barlow. I suggest you try to get an eyepiece or barlow such that you can reach magnification of around 150 or 200.
ggodetucsamoht

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

Hi bharat

Currently I have the following lens
20mm
4mm
9mm
15mm

The first 2 are stock eyepieces that came together with the scope. I am looking to get a better Barlow as the package Barlow are too plastic and toy feel. A proper 2x Barlow should goes well. The next eyepiece I am looking at is to replace the 4mm, but still thinking on a 5mm or a 6mm copy?
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Hi ggodetucsamoht,

I have some generic Plossl eyepieces for sale. 9, 15, 20mm, do contact me if interested.
ggodetucsamoht

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

fizzy123 wrote:Hi ggodetucsamoht,

I have some generic Plossl eyepieces for sale. 9, 15, 20mm, do contact me if interested.
Thanks fizzy for your offer.
ggodetucsamoht

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

I was wondering if my scope able to view DSO clearly, like Orion nebula, andromeda galaxy, spiral galaxy etc etc.... Haven't got the chance to really search the sky yet but before that I must get my scope confirm if proper collimation has been done.

Anyway anybody in wdl/semb area interested in joining me for a short session tomolo evening? Remember I woke up in the middle of night yesterday and saw Orion up there, so wanna explore it hope to get it's nebula into my focus, anyone?
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
ggodetucsamoht wrote:I was wondering if my scope able to view DSO clearly, like Orion nebula, andromeda galaxy, spiral galaxy etc etc.... Haven't got the chance to really search the sky yet but before that I must get my scope confirm if proper collimation has been done.
Clearly? Hmm... Not many deep sky object can be seen really clearly in Singapore. I think Orion Nebula and Lagoon Nebula are the two nebula type objects that can be seen really clearly if the sky is good. Most other brighter nebula only allow you to distinguish the shape. Forget about observing galaxy clearly in Singapore... The brightest galaxy, M31 Andromeda Galaxy, look like a fuzzy patch in most scope.

Happy obseving and have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
ggodetucsamoht

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

Anyone interested to join me recce Johor kukup for observing site next sat after the presidential election? Found out from astro sci ctr lady that the group tried searching for the site but couldn't get it, I know where is it hence would want to explore it and introduce to all our astronomers here. Anyone??
beginner

Post by beginner »

Congratulation on your new equipment. So lucky first light and you see Jupiter. Aiya I only know where the moon is!
After reading some of the post i feeling interested again.
I shall dive into my store room and search for my small and old 80mm Vixen.
Probably already out of date model. Hopefully not too much fungi on the lens.

Btw how did you manage to see Jupiter so comfortably.
I am sure you have an equatorial mount but how do you keep it steady in the field of view with 100x mag. Is your mount a motorized set?

Cheers,
Beginner