Sell your used non-astro items here!

Have an old aquarium or bicycle you don't need anymore? Here is the place to sell your unwanted (non-astro) items to a friendly Singastroian. Your junk might be someone else's treasure! Strictly for non-commerical use only.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Sell your used non-astro items here!

Post by acc »

This is the place for Singastro members to sell their used and unwanted (non-astro) items. Strictly for non-commercial use only. Let's see what treasures might surface here! :mrgreen:
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
acc
Administrator

Post by acc »

Wah, judging from the number of posts from one of our dear mod, this sub-forum should be called Richard's Pasar Malam liao!! :mrgreen:
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

aiyah...got lots of stuff to sell mah...anyway, have to start the ball rolling heh heh..will be posting more until you close this sub-forum down! hah hah
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

what has this got to do with an astronomy forum ah?
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Nothing to do with astronomy, but to let fellow member to sell off their extras. Let is why it is call Pasar Malam to differentiate from Buy & Sell, the real McCoy.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

yup...previosuly, some members have been trying to sell off non-astro stuff here but were immediately rejected by the admin. after some discussions, we thought we could try allowing people to sell non-astro stuff under a dedicated sub-forum (much as we have the coffee corner) as long as they are personal stuff and not for commercial gain. if it proves popular and no problems identified, we will let it continue...

But off-hand no illegal stuff like pirated movies, modded xbox, etc would be allowed and certainly no commercial sellers.

So if you have some stuff in your closer you want to let go, try it here! We'll see how the response goes...

cheers :lol:
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
acc
Administrator

Post by acc »

Can even sell the skeleton in your closet! :mrgreen: :)
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Sam Lee

Post by Sam Lee »

Why would we have a pasar malam in an astronomy forum selling non-astronomy items ?
Wouldn't it be more sensible and effective to place non-astronomy items in online auction areas (ebay , yahoo auctions) ?
Singastro forum should be an area where hobbyist share experiences and thoughts while being allowed chance to place astronomy related items for sale. Having a category that promotes sale of non astronomy items will just induce hobbyist to stray away from this motive and encourage spammers to join the forum just to get rid of stuffs they don't want in their closets (without any tiniest interest in astronomy).
Singastro'ians who have been in the forum long enough would obviously see a use of an area for non astronomy item and will use it discretly , but what will the relatively new singastro members think ? The mindset will gradually shift towards selling and buying of non astronomy equipments and discussions that are in no tiniest bit of relevance to astronomy.
Have a look at hobby forums around us , including the very popular clubsnap, which have an extensive buy and sell activities. They do not have any non-photography related market. It is simple to guess what will happen if the admins were to introduce an area for non-photography related item.
We are the Borg, Resistance is Futile!
mrngbss

Post by mrngbss »

Sam Lee wrote:. Having a category that promotes sale of non astronomy items will just induce hobbyist to stray away from this motive and encourage spammers to join the forum just to get rid of stuffs they don't want in their closets (without any tiniest interest in astronomy).
I think the above will open a pandora's box to different people, especially spammers.
Wee Nghee the Pooh
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

I believe everything in life, whether good or bad, can be used properly or misused.

My comments on this are:

1. I'd rather buy some non-astro stuff from someone I know in Singastro than from some anonymous person from eBay!

2. I'm sure the mods are monitoring closely and if it has been abused, then they will shut it down.

3. The Singastro community is too small for the general public to just come in here and unload their wares. eBay or Yahoo auctions is a better bet for these guys.

4. If it affects the bandwidth or storage, I'm sure the mods will do something about that too!

5. Singastro is not a private exclusive club, which needs tight regulations.

6. We have a life outside of astronomy, too... and that includes owning non-astro stuff. Getting rid of these non-astro stuff will make room for more astro stuff! Hurray!

Therefore, I have no objections to selling non-astro stuff if it is not misused.

Cheers!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]