Sell your used non-astro items here!

Have an old aquarium or bicycle you don't need anymore? Here is the place to sell your unwanted (non-astro) items to a friendly Singastroian. Your junk might be someone else's treasure! Strictly for non-commerical use only.
hommel

Post by hommel »

Just my 2 cents worth...so take it easy on me :lol:

I hope in future i won't have to log into singastro and have to wade through
50 posts of pasar malam selling soft toys, music cds, handphone cases etc
etc etc.

While I agree with with Tachyon that we have a life outside astronomy
& buying stuff from fellow singasto members is better than from ebay etc,
I believed sellers of such items will want a more effective medium with
higher traffic like yahoo.com.sg, hardwarezone etc. to get rid of their
items fast.

The reason I always come back to this forum is the dedicated information
I can get from equally dedicated group of members, no nonsense info,
sane coffee talk, relatively mature talk if i may put it this way. Hope the
day won't come to see new members here talking about clubbing scene,
tcs actresses, recycled small talk news, npnt threads etc.

Well like i said, just my view.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

2) Secondly, let's face it, the volume of active membership posting has dwindled over the several months.
This one not true. I just saw the forum statistics. Seems to me that the number of posting per members have gone up quite significantly.

For example compared to a year ago, there were 255 members who had done 1-99 post. Today, there are 343 of these members.

At the top, there were only 5 members who had more than 1000 post a year ago. Today, there are 8 of them.

So to say that active membership has dwindle is not true.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Sam Lee wrote: And yes, we see more posting being generated due to the new 'pasar malam' column but that doesn't mean we are successful .
Like what RCJ has mentioned , there are other ways to increase actions and content to the forum.

Regards,
Sam
Aiyoh the introduction of this pasar malam is not a desperate last grasp attempt to perk up postings... its the last thing on our mind as forum activity is very healthy thank you very much. See vinsnr's post. This sub-forum merely an attempt to help recycle our old junk. :roll:
I hope in future i won't have to log into singastro and have to wade through 50 posts of pasar malam selling soft toys, music cds, handphone cases etc etc etc.
Well this would be the case if we had stuck with Yahoo Groups. :lol: If you don't want to wade through mountains of soft toy etc etc etc then don't visit the pasar malam lor. Simple isn't it? :mrgreen:
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
hommel

Post by hommel »

Whenever i log in, i'll click on the 'New Post' link above, now you tell me how do i filter it off? :)
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Too bad we can't keep everyone happy; its a shared community so win some loose some :mrgreen:

If there is really an overwhelming number of pasar malam sales, don't worry we will do something about it.

Meanwhile, give it a go lah. If we don't try new stuff we will still be stuck with Yahoo Groups.
Last edited by acc on Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
mch3898

Post by mch3898 »

Hi there,

I am quite a new to this forum after registered only a few months back. So's here is a newcomer's 2 cents' worth...and take it easy on me also.

First of all, this forum is great and all the postings had been very informative and hey, what can be more inspiring than seeing fantastic astrophotos taken from here in Singapore! (and ya, maybe also from Mersing, lah). I had joined in a few postings and made a few friends who are obviously great to learn about astronomy from - from the Singapore view point.

As for the pasar malam, let it be but can keep it from being overwhelming by restricting number of postings there? Anyway in the few months I had been here, I hardly got in the Coffee Corner as I am more interested in astro things.
christopher
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

i do not think one can avoid sieving through posts that we are not interested to view, through the "Recent Topics" link on the header. what it does is to show everything that has been posted according to a time span. Unless I am missing something out...
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Honestly I don't think the pasar malam section will turn into an overwhelming forum. I look at it as more of an alternative forum for the existing members. I don't think people will take the trouble to register only to sell things in a forum which has only a few hundred people.

I, myself may not even want to post anything there especially when I can find sales in other bigger forums. But some members may feel closer dealing with singastro members so it's their choice. I wouldn't think the pasar malam would be such a "success" till it degrade other astro postings. In any case, we will monitor the situation. The whole idea is just to give members better choices.

Let's give it a go and see how. If you are not interested in that forum, it won't be long before you won't even notice it's there.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

rcj wrote:i do not think one can avoid sieving through posts that we are not interested to view, through the "Recent Topics" link on the header. what it does is to show everything that has been posted according to a time span. Unless I am missing something out...
Recent topics only show the thread title. It will not show the postings or replies inside that thread.

You just don't click on the thread title will do.
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

VinSnr, I can see the point, but it is still unavoidable to see the sale/wanted titles pertaining to Pasar Malam... nevermind la, i will probably wade through the stuff and look for astronomy titles and tread headings...
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits