Celestron Nexstar 8se vs C8-SGT

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
vodoxus

Celestron Nexstar 8se vs C8-SGT

Post by vodoxus »

Hi all,

just wondering what a key difference would be between these 2 scopes? I did a side by side stat comparison, and besides the mounts, is there any big difference?

Do the two different mounts make a big difference as well?
I have lurked through the forums and seen that some EQ mounts have problems with Singapore's location. Would the SGT have that same problem?
Gary

Re: Celestron Nexstar 8se vs C8-SGT

Post by Gary »

Hi vodoxus. Welcome to Singastro.

The difference in mount though is numerical only one but it can be quite an important factor to consider, i.e. choosing a alta-azimuth mount (AZ) vs equatorial mount (EQ).

SE series is more for visual use though it can still do some decent astrophotography. So the advantages will be speed and easy of setup (no counterweights), less stringent scope balancing requirement, more comfortable viewing level (i.e. no need to rotate diagonals or adjust standing/sitting positions too frequently during visual observation). The disadvantage will be field rotation issues if you intend to do long-exposure astrophotography (post processing can help to minimise/eliminate this issue but some may find this procedure a hassle in itself). For EQ mount, it is more or less the reverse situation. All the top deep-space astrophotos you see in magazines and online are mainly captured from EQ systems.

Research more on the pros and cons of both types of mount and see which one fits your preference better.

I will let the equipment veterans here answer your query about Singapore latitude issues. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

I'm not a veteran but here's my take
Both scopes feature a celestron 8" SCT, your choice of Alt-Az or EQ mount.
As Gary has rightly pointed out, the 8SE features ease of use and setup as an EQ mount requires at least rudimentary polar alignment and balancing. I generally need about half an hour for proper setup and balancing my EQ mount with basic alignment (enough for goto and tracking an object but not good enough for photography). When I'm using my alt-az mount, 5 mins is all (Plonk it in the rough general direction then align on at least 2 objects) I need.
While the C8-SGT is ostensibly better for imaging, some caveats are that
a) The CG5-GT mount supplied is generally considered the minimum needed for imaging and a C8 (plus imaging accessories) can tax the mount. While the "rated load capacity" 35lbs, its capacity for photography is much less (generally an accepted value is to divide by half).
b) The CG5GT does not adjust down to 0 deg latitude (I think its minimum is 10 or 15deg). This means you cannot get accurate polar alignment without the use of a wedge, an extra (non-celestron) accessory that you have to source out yourself.
c) Generally when beginning photography its better to image at shorter focal lengths. The 2000mm (or so) of the C8 is considered very long.
So I'd say for visual use the Nexstar8SE is a fine scope but if photography is in the works do consider another setup. Of course you can get the C8-SGT, modify it with a wedge, then get a smaller scope for imaging and that will "save" the cost of another mount :)
DON'T PANIC
vodoxus

Post by vodoxus »

Great replies guys!

Thanks for the help.
Clears up a lot too!

Shall make a decision soon!