EQ mount for local Astrophotogrpahy

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
orly_andico

Re: EQ mount for local Astrophotogrpahy

Post by orly_andico »

Let's not get too excited here.. this particular mount cost less than kevin's SXD.

I use the 900mm FL (with my Meade DSI) for the drift alignment.

but when it's capturing time I use a reducer which brings it down to 720mm.

Pixel scale at 720mm with the QHY8 is 2.3 arc-seconds per pixel. My 15-year old mount's PE is 7.8 arc-seconds peak-to-peak.

Since the stars are typically 10+ pixels wide or more you don't see any trailing even when unguided.

That said, I'm doing 20+ minutes so I need to guide anyway. The 8 minutes unguided was just for giggles.

Really hoping to go to a dark sky site soon so I can go to 5-minute exposures (it's annoying to find a huge dust bunny on your 20-minute sub).

Anybody up for Sedili this weekend? Sat p.m. to Sun a.m. ?
kimo

Post by kimo »

HI,

I am having trouble to do polar alignment from my Room window. is there any way possible to do polar alignment? I only can view from the window AZ 15deg to 90deg, Alt 10 deg to 45deg.

Thanks
Kimo
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

WCS-DSI, as I mentioned earlier, does well.

There's also a version for web cams.

I bought this $15 web cam from Carrefour (it had 6 LED's on the front), opened it up, removed the LED's and the casing, and what's left is a bare circuit board.

I then super-glued this circuit board to a cheap 1.25" eyepiece holder, and voila, a web cam that can be attached directly to a telescope. Some folks use the Microsoft Lifecam Studio or HD, which are very nice and don't have to be disassembled as they fit into a 1.25" eyepiece holder. But they are not $15.

My cheapo modded webcam works fine as a guide camera for Metaguide (note that the Meade DSI will not work with Metaguide) and I'm sure it can also be used for WCS.
kimo

Post by kimo »

I thought that star should be chose from meridian and celestial for Az adjustment? if only celestial allow then i can try. I already install WC and also modified webcam for telescope.

Thanks
Kimo
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

works even with just any random star :-)

just so long as it's not too close to the pole.