Solar filter for C8

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
joachim.ong
Favourite scope: 150cm Telescope at Gunma Observatory

Solar filter for C8

Post by joachim.ong »

Hi everyone! As the transit of venus is coming soon, i was wondering if it is possible to get a solar filter for my C8. Not sure what's the best option (DIY/buy ready made), or if it's viable, but want to know what you would suggest I do since i would be using it for prolonged period over the transit of venus...

By the way, i have like about 1 sq metre of some solar filter sitting at home so maybe that could be used for diy though its the cheap kind that makes the sun yellow.

Thanks in advance for the advice! :mryellow:
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Re: Solar filter for C8

Post by Mariner »

Hi Joachim,

Gary posted up a nice vid on how to make a decent DIY filter.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10857
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Joakim. Can you let us now exactly what is the brand and model of this 1 square meter solar filter thing? Asking to check if is really a solar filter else it might be dangerous to see through it.

This is a nice video captured by a C8 with the Baader AstroSolar Film (with a 2x barlow):

You may also consider stopping down instead of using the full C8 aperture due to potential deterioration of seeing by the heat during daytime.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
joachim.ong
Favourite scope: 150cm Telescope at Gunma Observatory

Post by joachim.ong »

Ok seems interesting. The solar filter I have was bought a while back from astrobargains.com... Its a loose sheet though but I think I remember it is thousand oaks (Its black in colour). Just wondering, would it be better to buy one of those ready made/glass filters?