Beginner's Scope - Skywatcher 130mm Truss Dob

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Clifford60

Re: Beginner's Scope - Skywatcher 130mm Truss Dob

Post by Clifford60 »

Jim McGill wrote: .....
Would appreciate that you understand our (the seller’s) predicament too. We need concrete and detailed information on any issue so that we can present a good explanation to Sky-Watcher, thus helping you to get the most out of the situation. Who knows Sky-Watcher or any factory/supplier may turn nasty against us if they feel we are making a mountain out of a molehill if we just say “Why is your primary mirror so dirty!!!” Sorry if you feel we are defensive. At the end of the day, we’re trying our best to do a good job! Who will want to have a dissatisfied customer talking bad about our company in forums right? Haha...
The latest batch of Sky-Watcher Heritage 130P@S$360nett is available now. To ensure a happy buyer/seller relationship, all Heritage telescopes have to be picked up near our warehouse in Bedok. There is no home/office delivery for this product. Customer has the divine right to inspect every detail, including the optics to ensure the telescope meets all their requirements BEFORE purchase and handing over of $$$. Comes with 1-year local warranty for your peace of mind.
Jim, McGill.
http://www.mcgill.com.sg
Hi Jim,

You are doing a business in Singapore and there is such a law in Singapore known as "LEMON" law. As a professional seller, it is your duty to ensure that the products you sell are well inspected and tested to ensure good quality before even it is bring it out to the customer. By sending a "LEMON" to the customer and then provide this kind of customer service and reply is totally unacceptable in this service driven market. Whether or not your supplier will honor the claim, it is your duty to convince them and under the "LEMON" law it is also your duty to get a "LEMON" fix, replace or refund.

By the statements above, you are simply pushing the responsibility to the customer and so defensive. I think the forumers here are more interested on when will you be fixing the problem and not the defensive explanation. Here is a very small market, it doesn't help you with such reply especially in an open forum.

Today, even the famous Sim Lim Square has a booth for unhappy customers to feedback and claim. Lucky Plaza is thinking of such booth too. I hope we don't need one in Bedok. LOL

Wish you all the best in your astro business.
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

Jim McGill wrote:
depardeuz wrote:Image.

Comparison of my new Skywatcher Heritage 130p Truss Dob. As promised, the scope was delivered on Boxing Day. But I only managed to check out the scope late in the evening. Found the primary mirror to be less than desired

Image.

Feedback to Mcgill since their Service line is open till midnight. Uploaded the picture of the primary mirror but the service staff found nothing wrong with the primary mirror. I though how could it be? He wanted me to highlight the particles and hence, I did. He was kinda defensive and told me that a Newtonian can function even with a few particles. I was taken aghast by that reply. Their definition of a "clean" primary mirror for the customer is just plain not professional. I reasoned that it looked as if I have been using the scope for a couple of years. After some questioning then he agreed to feedback to his supplier and request that I wait for a few days. I felt that had the staff been less defensive and work with me on the issue, I would have felt better. But the overall experience with them, is really not good. Probably this would be my last deal with them though there aren't many dealers who brings in telescopes in Singapore. But I must admit that their prices are competitive and rather attractive compared to one buying it from ebay. Especially, it comes with their local 1 year warrenty.
Hi Honglian,

Thanks for your feedback.

Would appreciate that you understand our (the seller’s) predicament too. We need concrete and detailed information on any issue so that we can present a good explanation to Sky-Watcher, thus helping you to get the most out of the situation. Who knows Sky-Watcher or any factory/supplier may turn nasty against us if they feel we are making a mountain out of a molehill if we just say “Why is your primary mirror so dirty!!!” Sorry if you feel we are defensive. At the end of the day, we’re trying our best to do a good job! Who will want to have a dissatisfied customer talking bad about our company in forums right? Haha...

By the way, you are very creative in producing a customized shroud for this Heritage 130P! Cool job, Bro!

Honestly speaking, it is the first time we encounter this situation of a primary mirror rejected by a customer due to an unacceptable level of cleanliness. So far, the big Sky-Watcher Flex-Dobs (8”, 10”, 12” till 16”) are of VERY EXCELLENT quality and we did not have a single unfortunate case in which the customer would return the entire bulky piece of optics back to us. Phew! As someone mentioned, this is probably something that Sky-Watcher may have to pay more attention to for a mass-produced reflector at this affordable price level.

Yes, you’re right! Our prices are always competitive to the best of our ability. Our objective is to offer attractive prices with a local warranty to persuade the local customer to order from us instead of ordering from overseas with exorbitant shipping fees but in the end, he/she may not have an efficient way to resolve any dispute arising from the overseas transaction.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To all other stargazers and lurkers on this forum,
The latest batch of Sky-Watcher Heritage 130P@S$360nett is available now. To ensure a happy buyer/seller relationship, all Heritage telescopes have to be picked up near our warehouse in Bedok. There is no home/office delivery for this product. Customer has the divine right to inspect every detail, including the optics to ensure the telescope meets all their requirements BEFORE purchase and handing over of $$$. Comes with 1-year local warranty for your peace of mind. FREE gift: “The Night Sky” award-winning star chart modified for Singapore’s night sky. Visit the Heritage product webpage for details:
http://www.mcgill.com.sg/shop/product_i ... 5933f58994

IF you are a student and know the teacher in charge of your school’s astronomy club, tell your teacher to buy this beginner’s scope as it is CHEAP! If you fail to find that teacher, it may be a good idea to pester your parents to get one for you. Haha...

By the way, we are pleased to inform that we are now able to order almost anything from USA (especially expensive and bulky stuff at attractive prices) due to a very close partnership with a certain BIG company in USA. Feel free to visit our website http://www.mcgill.com.sg and email us if you need assistance. The telescope section is not big now but we will improve bit by bit in the near future!

Feel free to contact us via our hotline 6389-1734, email sales@mcgill.com.sg or SMS to 9108-1059 as we seldom visit this forum.

Cheers and clear sky,
Jim, McGill.
I think its not very nice to promote your company's sale in someone's thread who is trying to address their issues to your company.
It looks more like you are interested to sell than to solve his issue.

In your case, between you and skywatcher principal is not of any concern to the customer.
It is your sole responsibility to ensure that the product you sell to the client is in new condition with no flaws. That is why there is a 1 to 1 exchange 7 days policy and a 6 month lemon law in place to protect consumers apart from the usual manufacturer warranty they provides.

And yes a newtonian can function with just a few particles but that does not address to the client's concern on the product's that he got from you new. Imagine you got a new car and you saw a tyre with a scratch on the rim, the car can still run. That's not very nice right?

In order to ensure a healthy and trustworthy transaction between retailers and forumers, i suggest you deconflict with him asap.

Cheers
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
Jim McGill
Vendor

Post by Jim McGill »

Clifford60 wrote:
Jim McGill wrote: .....
The latest batch of Sky-Watcher Heritage 130P@S$360nett is available now. To ensure a happy buyer/seller relationship, all Heritage telescopes have to be picked up near our warehouse in Bedok. There is no home/office delivery for this product. Customer has the divine right to inspect every detail, including the optics to ensure the telescope meets all their requirements BEFORE purchase and handing over of $$$. Comes with 1-year local warranty for your peace of mind.
Jim, McGill.
Hi Jim,

You are doing a business in Singapore and there is such a law in Singapore known as "LEMON" law. As a professional seller, it is your duty to ensure that the products you sell are well inspected and tested to ensure good quality before even it is bring it out to the customer. By sending a "LEMON" to the customer and then provide this kind of customer service and reply is totally unacceptable in this service driven market. Whether or not your supplier will honor the claim, it is your duty to convince them and under the "LEMON" law it is also your duty to get a "LEMON" fix, replace or refund.

By the statements above, you are simply pushing the responsibility to the customer and so defensive. I think the forumers here are more interested on when will you be fixing the problem and not the defensive explanation. Here is a very small market, it doesn't help you with such reply especially in an open forum.

Today, even the famous Sim Lim Square has a booth for unhappy customers to feedback and claim. Lucky Plaza is thinking of such booth too. I hope we don't need one in Bedok. LOL

Wish you all the best in your astro business.
Hi Clifford60,

Thanks for your comments and concerns. We appreciate your sincere feedback.

Definitely we will make sure the buyer gets protected. I have had enough "bullying" from undesirable sellers myself and I do not wish this to happen to anyone else.

Cheers.
Jim McGill
Vendor

Post by Jim McGill »

shirox wrote: I think its not very nice to promote your company's sale in someone's thread who is trying to address their issues to your company.
It looks more like you are interested to sell than to solve his issue.

In your case, between you and skywatcher principal is not of any concern to the customer.
It is your sole responsibility to ensure that the product you sell to the client is in new condition with no flaws. That is why there is a 1 to 1 exchange 7 days policy and a 6 month lemon law in place to protect consumers apart from the usual manufacturer warranty they provides.

And yes a newtonian can function with just a few particles but that does not address to the client's concern on the product's that he got from you new. Imagine you got a new car and you saw a tyre with a scratch on the rim, the car can still run. That's not very nice right?

In order to ensure a healthy and trustworthy transaction between retailers and forumers, i suggest you deconflict with him asap.

Cheers
Hi Shirox,

Thanks for your feedback. We have removed the part on selling to avoid any misunderstanding.

We have reached a settlement with the buyer. Will not reply to any more posting.

Thanks everyone for your care and concern and certainly we will try our very best to serve all.

Peace and clear skies!

Jim, McGill.
depardeuz
Favourite scope: 60x 80mm Spotting Scope

Post by depardeuz »

Just received my Skywatcher Synscan AZ GOTO mount on 15/12/2013 (ordered on 3/1/2013). Had some time to mount my Heritage 130p on it! It looked more like some sci-fi Death Ray gun or some Directional Antenna Array rather than a telescope! :twisted:

Have a great weekend ahead!! :P
Seize the day!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
depardeuz wrote:Image

Just received my Skywatcher Synscan AZ GOTO mount on 15/12/2013 (ordered on 3/1/2013). Had some time to mount my Heritage 130p on it! It looked more like some sci-fi Death Ray gun or some Directional Antenna Array rather than a telescope! :twisted:

Have a great weekend ahead!! :P
Look like it won't clear the scope bottom when point near zenith... [smilie=confused.gif] If it's won't clear the bottom, make sure you don't point to any object near the zenith and be extra careful when "GOTOing"... you never know when the GOTO decide to pass through the zenith.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
depardeuz

Post by depardeuz »

Hi Weixing, point noted! The weight balancing on the mount is also another consideration too. It can be done to view stars at zenith..just have to find that balancing point when the bottom of the scope just clears the mount. Probably will need some form of counterweight to fix on the bottom of the scope. I was thinking of packet of cooling gel I got for free from NTUCand blue tack... [smilie=frozen.gif]
Last edited by depardeuz on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seize the day!
depardeuz

Post by depardeuz »

With inputs from Clifford and Dave, I decide to embark on making the Heritage 130P light Shroud II! Bring forth the long-lost sewing abilities since army days.. :P In the previous version, the material was too soft, a bit heavy in the weight department. Also, sagging at the focuser area. This time round, thanks to Dave's information, I managed to find the slightly stiffer and a tad lighter foam sheet from Popular to make this verison of the shroud! I took Clifford's suggestion not to cut out the openings and instead do a criss-cross cut for the openings. Personally sewn up the elastic bands as well without being pricked!!
This time with a dew shield incorporated into the shroud length! The foam sheet actually formed a rather cylindrical shaped tube without much coaxing. That's fine by me!
The shroud with the 2 x criss-cross cuttings...looks like Castor eh..ok not so far from each other but similar enough :mryellow:
Last edited by depardeuz on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seize the day!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Good job! Thanks for sharing. I should have taken up home econs during school. :P
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
depardeuz

Post by depardeuz »

I didn't too. Picked that up from my mum! :P
Seize the day!