Beginner's Scope - Skywatcher 130mm Truss Dob

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
depardeuz
Favourite scope: 60x 80mm Spotting Scope

Re: Beginner's Scope - Skywatcher 130mm Truss Dob

Post by depardeuz »

Checked with Jim of Mcgrill. He will be delivering the scope to me on Boxing Day. That's super fast service. Got to chk out the state and collimation of the set though. However, he mentioned that this set doesn't need a shroud .
Seize the day!
depardeuz

Post by depardeuz »

I seem to encounter difficulties in uploading my .jpg file. The feedback is that the file is invalid. Any advise?
Seize the day!
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Try using a photo uploading service such as Flickr or Google then linking the picture using its URL :)
Personally I use Picasaweb, now Google Drive.
DON'T PANIC
depardeuz

Post by depardeuz »

Image.

Comparison of my new Skywatcher Heritage 130p Truss Dob. As promised, the scope was delivered on Boxing Day. But I only managed to check out the scope late in the evening. Found the primary mirror to be less than desired

Image.

Feedback to Mcgill since their Service line is open till midnight. Uploaded the picture of the primary mirror but the service staff found nothing wrong with the primary mirror. I though how could it be? He wanted me to highlight the particles and hence, I did. He was kinda defensive and told me that a Newtonian can function even with a few particles. I was taken aghast by that reply. Their definition of a "clean" primary mirror for the customer is just plain not professional. I reasoned that it looked as if I have been using the scope for a couple of years. After some questioning then he agreed to feedback to his supplier and request that I wait for a few days. I felt that had the staff been less defensive and work with me on the issue, I would have felt better. But the overall experience with them, is really not good. Probably this would be my last deal with them though there aren't many dealers who brings in telescopes in Singapore. But I must admit that their prices are competitive and rather attractive compared to one buying it from ebay. Especially, it comes with their local 1 year warrenty.
Seize the day!
cloud_cover

Post by cloud_cover »

Hi!
Those images are tiny: I've helped you post bigger sized images:

DON'T PANIC
depardeuz

Post by depardeuz »

Hi cloud_cover, How did you set the size of the pic to be posted? Btw, the primary mirror of the Heritage does look like an open cluster... Lol! :)
Seize the day!
cloud_cover

Post by cloud_cover »

The original link to your photo was:
"https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FhMI ... a4/[b]s128[/b]/scopes.jpg"
The "s128" part controls the displayed resolution
So I changed it to "https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FhMI ... a4/[b]s800[/b]/scopes.jpg"

Emphasis in bold is my own, not the link's :)
DON'T PANIC
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

While those spots will not affect the image in any discernible way, and it is a given that some dust or minor imperfections will be present in a mass-produced mirror, the size and number of spots on your mirror does look to be on the high side. Hope they will give you a fair resolution. I would ask for an exchange. BTW do check carefully to ensure that those spots are not caused by fungus (look for tell-tale, web-like filaments).
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
depardeuz

Post by depardeuz »

Hi cloud_cover,

Thanks for the info! Now I know :mryellow:

Hi acc,

The particles luckily did not display those web-like parttern! But there is one that looked like a yellowish gob which I do not know what that was. The rest are fine hair-like and whitish specks of particles probably landed on the mirror during the packaging process. I wonder if they actually do packaging in a cleanroom environment? Probably not yah. Not worth the trouble and profit margin :)

Btw,

Just curious. Did anyone of you in Singastro ever wash your Newtonian primary mirror with tap water and MaMa Lemon detergent before? I saw a few youtube instruction videos doing so (not with exactly Mama Lemon but similar dishwashing detergent).
Seize the day!
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

You could try using a bulb blower to see if the particles could be blown off, but don't touch the mirror else you could scratch the coating. Yes you can use tap water but the final few rinses should be with distilled water to avoid leaving residuals behind on the mirror (Google for the water + detergent/isopropyl alcohol + cotton ball method). But hopefully the vendor can resolve the issue for you instead of you having to clean the mirror of a brand new scope. Good luck.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!