Celestron Advanced VX Mount

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
heyjojos

Re: Celestron Advanced VX Mount

Post by heyjojos »

antares2063 wrote:http://www.optcorp.com/vx-3909-half-pil ... ounts.html

Heyjojos: this is an example of a pier, although I'm not sure if it can fit the VX mount.., it fits between your mount and tripod legs, and raises the mount so that the counterweight bar won't hit the legs when doing polar alignment :)

Hi
Thanks for your reply.

Is the pier something u can buy from Singapore or have someone build for??
I don't think Celestron sells one.
ivan
Favourite scope: TAK-oyaki

Post by ivan »

heyjojos wrote:Hi
I wrote to Celestron on this and they told me I have to build a pier to for the mount to sit on... otherwise the counterweight would run into the tripod legs. I believe this should work... Is that true? If so, how do i build a pier? :)

They also mentioned that all their German equatorial mounts needs the pier to work in Singapore??? I don't believe it as I have seen guys operating the scope without the pier.

Appreciate your advise. Thanks!
Yes, you can operate the scope without a pier. It is possible, but it is not optimal. The issue here is that in order for the mount to work in Singapore, you have to lower the latitude setting all the way down, as well as to extend the tripod legs on one side more than the other in order for it to be properly polar aligned. Because of the low latitide adjustment, the counterweight tends to run in the tripod legs. To prevent that, you can point the mount between two tripod legs. However, this is slightly precarious because of the lowered stability. That said, I have used a CG-5 for a number of years doing this without any issue, and it can only go down to a minimum of 10 degrees latitude with some minor modifications. Still, you have to be cautious not to bump into your telescope while doing so.

Having a pier (or half-pier) would eliminate this problem, although the issue of going to 1 deg north will still exist. Having a wedge might help, although finding one is undoubtedly difficult.

Hope that helps.
Just a casual stargazer
ivan

Post by ivan »

Davegn wrote:Hi Orly,

Do agree with you that is this just a replacement for the current GC5.
But with add funtions! [smilie=admire.gif] [smilie=admire.gif] [smilie=admire.gif]

Regards,
Dave Ng
Yup, it's rather like a CGEM with a CG-5 payload capacity.
Just a casual stargazer
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Ivan. Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your stay here and continue to share your astro knowledge with us. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
ivan

Post by ivan »

Gary wrote:Hi Ivan. Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your stay here and continue to share your astro knowledge with us. :)
Thanks Gary! Hope to learn more from you guys too :D
Just a casual stargazer
Gary

Post by Gary »

Also glad to know your location in your public profile says "Toa Payoh". [smilie=hi.gif]
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
ivan

Post by ivan »

Gary wrote:Also glad to know your location in your public profile says "Toa Payoh". [smilie=hi.gif]
Yes yes, that's why I was at your last tpy sidewalk ^^
Just a casual stargazer