Batteries 12Vdc - how are you powering your mounts?

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
vintoh
Favourite scope: Borg

Batteries 12Vdc - how are you powering your mounts?

Post by vintoh »

Hello all!
Recently I've just purchased the iOptron zeq25 mount and was thinking what's the best way not to connect this to a AC source.
In the past I would use a 12VDC Lead acid battery and power.
But I want to hear from the folks here in this forum how would you power your mounts and get some advice on it.
Thanks so much!
Clifford60

Re: Batteries 12Vdc - how are you powering your mounts?

Post by Clifford60 »

If you are doing imaging or astrophotography, it will be better if you can connect to AC power because other than the mount you still need to run the other devices like camera, computer, etc. Running on battery you will need to get a higher capacity and likely will need a converter for the different voltages require by the different devices.

If you are using it for visual, a Sealed Lead Acid battery, like a 7AH capacity will be enough. Remember to buy the charger if you are buying the battery.
vintoh
Favourite scope: Borg

Post by vintoh »

Clifford60 wrote:If you are doing imaging or astrophotography, it will be better if you can connect to AC power because other than the mount you still need to run the other devices like camera, computer, etc. Running on battery you will need to get a higher capacity and likely will need a converter for the different voltages require by the different devices.

If you are using it for visual, a Sealed Lead Acid battery, like a 7AH capacity will be enough. Remember to buy the charger if you are buying the battery.
thanks clifford! where can i get one of those :)
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Sim Lim Tower basement. There also sell wire and connectors which you need to connect the battery to the mount. They can make to your need for a fee if you don't know how to.
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Post by Hardwarezone »

Neighbourhood bicycle shop that sell the electrical ride for toddlers , the sealed lead acid 12v battery is the same. Somebody told me within $50 can get the battery and charger.
kimo

Post by kimo »

You can order online for only < US $5 for 12v lead acid Bat charger from hong kong. I am using it and not bad at all. lead acid bat at simlim S$20 - S$35, I bought three already.
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

My preference is eneloops. You can get them off amazon under the amazon basics branding.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

+1

I found this 10-cell AA battery pack off ebay which gives 12V with NiMH and 15V with cheap alkalines. Then just stuff it with Eneloops or similar NiMH batteries (the non-Eneloops self-discharge after a few days though).

The reason for this is that wet cell lead-acids and lithium-ions will get stopped at the airport under IATA rules (if you are traveling by air to an astro destination).. Whereas NiMH AA's have no limit (and even if you get stopped, you can easily buy AA's at your destination).

Obviously this is not a concern if you are not traveling by air.
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

I used to use a SLA battery. It was really heavy and hassle to carry around.
Found it dead in my storage box when I decided to power up my mount after many years of hibernation.

Now I'm using a 11Ah Li-ion battery to replace the dead SLA. only fraction the weight of the SLA. :mryellow: