Solar Filter

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
stargazer

Solar Filter

Post by stargazer »

Guys,

I just got an AstroMaster 130 Newt. Is it safe to look at the sun with it by adding in with a solar filter? Any advice and recommendation?

Thanks! :P
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Re: Solar Filter

Post by Mariner »

First thing first. Do not EVER use those solar filters that screw into the end of the eyepiece. Solar filers are meant to be placed at the opening of the scope to cut down on the light and heat energy entering the scope.

Having said that, as long as you are using right type of solar filters (full aperture or stopped down aperture), you can safely view the sun through your scope.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

Thanks Mariner for your advice!
Great Red Spot
Favourite scope: Newtonian

Post by Great Red Spot »

stargazer

Post by stargazer »

Guys,

Will it work if I get a thousandoasks black polymer film and paste over the hole in my scope's dust cover and use it view the sun? Will the sun appears very dark due to 'insufficient light' into the scope?
[smilie=confused.gif]
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Hi , how big is the hole in the dust cover? Correct me if im wrong... wont the sheet be sold in A4 size? It should be sufficient enough to make one that covers your whole 5" newt

Regards
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

antares2063 wrote:Hi , how big is the hole in the dust cover? Correct me if im wrong... wont the sheet be sold in A4 size? It should be sufficient enough to make one that covers your whole 5" newt

Regards
Junwei
Hi Jun Wei,

The hole size is ard 3 ~ 4 cm dia. Yes, the sheet is A4 size, just that I thought of needing just a small portion to be used on an existing dust cover. Else, would have to hunt ard for a right size box, cut out a circular shape to replace with the film...