A possible telescope restoration project

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
rcj
Vendor

A possible telescope restoration project

Post by rcj »

Many thanks to Michael and Kay Heem, I was able to get my hands on a Questar at one of the local cash converter store. This was the Duplex 3.5” model and came with a brown box, solar filter, two eyepieces, and tripod legs. No power guide electronics. It was the worst Questar 3.5” that I have ever seen, basically it could not be used visually anymore, and cosmetically, it was worn. However, I thought it might make a good display item, exhibit tool for future astro events, or just for the sake of teaching how a maksutov functions. Nevertheless, I bought it and took it home for a possible restoration project. With a couple of tools at hand, cleaning solution, rust remover, metal polisher, I decided to take apart the telescope partially (since it was in such a bad condition anyway). The corrector meniscus was already corroded and filled with fungus, likewise for the Cervit primary mirror. It was a pity, since the meniscus was suppose to have broadband coatings (rather than MgFl2), and the Cervit mirror was rare in the sense that Questar stopped production of cervit in 1978 while it had ultra low thermal expansion properties. It was however superseded by Zerodur for the better models and Pyrex for the standard. I had previously owned another 3.5” before, but it was the Standard Model, though it a much better condition. However, this was a Duplex and would have been useful since it could be taken out of the cradle and mounted on any tripod with a 3/8” or 1/4” socket, or even as a piggyback or guiding scope.

Below are some of the pictures taken when the scope was taken apart, and the condition of the optics set. The last few pictures shows it assembled again, after a round of polishing (several hours of rubbing and polishing, amazing because i had three blisters on my right hand including the thumb surface prior to seeing this Questar). Have yet to think about getting a total replacement optics set, but have contacted Questar for options.

Partial dismantling of the telescope

Corrector Meniscus

A view at the primary mirror

Internal flip mechanism and prism

Business end (after removing the prism module)

Peeking through the finder optics path, after cleaning. Prior to this, it was near opague

Telescope assembled again after initial round of polishing (for now)
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: A possible telescope restoration project

Post by Airconvent »

Wow, Remus! Looks like the guy put the scope in the backyard along with his garden tools. How is the view after the cleaning? Maybe it can still pass off as a moon-planet viewer?
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

That's quite a story, Remus! What a pity the scope got into such a bad state - but you did a good job of cleaning it.

Go well!
Jeremy
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Wow... the scope looks bad....

I would guess the cost of the replacement optics would be quite shocking?

The standard servicing for a duplex already costs USD $410 + shipping....
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Wow! What a find!!

Will be interested in how the restoration goes!
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Update:

This is latest pic of the Q after some further cosmetic polishing. But did not touch the optics as yet. Have also done some enquiries, but to replace the entire optics set with a brand new one, together with internal prism and barlow lens will be around USD$2000 not including shipping and insurance. Yesterday, during the NUS stargazing session, we managed to test the two Brandon eyepieces, and they seemed really fine. Perhaps the only optical devices worthy of actual usage in this deal. The Q remains a display piece for now, or perhaps a future teaching tool.

Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits