Buying my first scope..help me put together a package

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
andromedia

Buying my first scope..help me put together a package

Post by andromedia »

Hi All,
I spent a couple of years with my binoculars with thanks to Gary and VinSnr I enjoyed watching the moon and Saturn...I also dabbled in astrophotography using iTelescope...but I found that it's a very lonely...you cannot enjoy it with others...Binos help but not as much...so now is the time to get Binos. Since I am heading to US, i thought I will get some new ones but I need help putting together one. My key criteria is simple, be small enough to store and fit in a carry-on luggage.
After a lot of research, I have zeroed in on the following scopes:
1. Tele Vue-8
2. Meade 80mm ED
3. Stellarvue 80mm ED.

I will need to get the eyepieces, but really don't know where to start...Plossl, Naglers. And besides that I will need the mounts/tripods as well. I have a camera tripod which I also used with my binos....it served me well so far. What tripods to suggest. I am comfortable in city skies to point to objects and view it, but in dark skies, where you really see the milky way...i get lost...there are way too many stars to know where to start from. Hence i was thinking of getting a goto/gps mount to help me navigate the sky.

What do you guys recommend?
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Buying my first scope..help me put together a package

Post by Airconvent »

Hi Andromeda
If you intend to use it in Singapore, I would recommend a bigger aperture. 80mm would be quite limiting here. As for eyepieces,get a few Plossls first. They are value for money and if you like you can upgrade to more premium ones. Do look at 4" or 5" aperture at least. Skywatcher,Celestron or Orion has quite a few in this class. Cheers
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets