Takahashi Product Questions

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
andeelym

Takahashi Product Questions

Post by andeelym »

Hi Tak experts,

I am looking into upgrading my gears into something more of a mid or high-mid level and have some questions about Takahashi's products. I am doing more imaging/video astronomy at the moment, using a full frame mirrorless camera (Sony A7S). Right now I'm more of a planetary/lunar person but am getting my feet damp in DSOs recently.

Questions:
1) What is the performance difference between TOA and TSA series of scopes? Other than the obvious in weight and price. I would like to know if TSA can illuminate a full frame sensor or die-die have to go for TOA?

3) How is the day to day using of the Mewlon 210? As in do you need to re-collimate often? Any mirror-flop? Do you use a separate crayford focuser? And how bad are the diffraction effect, cos hopefully i would want to be able to see the Jovian moons as discs rather than star-like with the spikes.

Look forward to your replies!
Great Red Spot
Favourite scope: Newtonian

Re: Takahashi Product Questions

Post by Great Red Spot »

Hello, there are loads of information about the Mewlon 210 here: http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/51234 ... n-210-yes/

In short: (1) once collimated it tends to stay; (2) minor mirror flop noticeable at high power; (3) I use a Moonlite focuser, sometimes; (4) diffraction spikes visible only for very bright stars and Venus - practically invisible or non-intrusive for other objects; (4) in very good seeing, pump the power, you will see the Jovian moons as discs without spikes.
andeelym

Post by andeelym »

Thanks GRS, that thread was very very informational. Looks like the Mewlon 210 will be a great buy for me. Thanks for answering my questions.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Have seen Alvin's M210 in action in mersing 3 or 4 times over the past year. There was one time the seeing permitted Saturn to be boosted to close to 480x . And i quote someone saying "Saturn looks like a UFO drifting across the Fov" haha

No experience with TOA or TSA refractors though...so cant comment.

Regards
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
andeelym

Post by andeelym »

Thanks for your resources and feedback. I think there is no doubt for planetary and lunar, Mewlon is the way to go. Was actually thinking of a Sky-Watcher MCT too, but I guess in terms of optical quality and the ability to be pushed, it cannot match with the venerable Mewlon.

Anyone with a pre-loved Mewlon and MWTS?
Great Red Spot

Post by Great Red Spot »

Actually, if money is no object, there are even better scopes of this size for planets :)
andeelym

Post by andeelym »

Oh really? Like Questar MCTs? Or do you mean those >10" Italian RCs? Do tell.
Great Red Spot

Post by Great Red Spot »

The Questar 7 is very expensive, yes, but not readily available. Equally difficult to find is the TEC 8 MCT.
Intes Micro still makes 7/8-inch MCTs. Even the 7-inch is 1k more than the Mewlon.
andeelym

Post by andeelym »

Yes the Questar 7 is crazily expensive, can't afford it now. Max is sgd 5k thereabout. It's unfortunate that Yuri stopped his MCT scopes. I'm seriously considering MCTs cos of the easy maintenance as there's not much of a need to collimate. Correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding of that.
Great Red Spot

Post by Great Red Spot »

Personally I find the Mewlon easy to maintain. U can easily stick your hand in and blow dusts and clean dew. Over time dusts and dew will enter even a closed tube system. Taking the corrector off an MCT may not be something you may feel comfortable about. Collimation wise, I don't think they are that much different. Mine has survived Mersing trips with collimation still on.
But I can understand why an MCT is attractive. Small central obstruction. An 8-inch MCT will sure beat the Mewlon. Too bad for me the Intes units are too ex! But an 8 inch MCT will be much heavier than the Mewlon too.
If portability is not an issue, you can of course go as large as you want. A 10 or 12 inch dob will show you even more than the Mewlon or an MCT.
If I could choose again, probably the Mewlon 180 would be the best compromise for quality and portability. But that one has been discontinued ...
Keep us updated on your decision!
Alvin