Experiences using ST-80 or astromaster 90

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
haejae
Favourite scope: astromaster 130eq:p

Experiences using ST-80 or astromaster 90

Post by haejae »

Hi guys, anyone had experiences using the orion Short Tube 80 or celestrin astromaster 90?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Re: Experiences using ST-80 or astromaster 90

Post by Hardwarezone »

The cheaper eyepieces will work better with the longer focal ratio scope
but the st-80 is better portability and storage
Longer tube length will produce slightly more vibration than shorter tube on the same mount and magnification.

Chromatic abberation is not distracting at lower magnification 20x & under on the 80mm F/5 achromat for terrestrial view

The tripod on the am90 isn't good for serious use, so I won't give it any points even if 2 scopes are compared together.
The diagonal on the am90 is also junk, you need to spend another $30 on mirror diagonal. (from ebay)

Overall .... as it will be your second scope ... I suggest you get something higher level than the astromaster series.
haejae
Favourite scope: astromaster 130eq:p

Re: Experiences using ST-80 or astromaster 90

Post by haejae »

Hardwarezone wrote:The cheaper eyepieces will work better with the longer focal ratio scope
but the st-80 is better portability and storage
Longer tube length will produce slightly more vibration than shorter tube on the same mount and magnification.

Chromatic abberation is not distracting at lower magnification 20x & under on the 80mm F/5 achromat for terrestrial view

The tripod on the am90 isn't good for serious use, so I won't give it any points even if 2 scopes are compared together.
The diagonal on the am90 is also junk, you need to spend another $30 on mirror diagonal. (from ebay)

Overall .... as it will be your second scope ... I suggest you get something higher level than the astromaster series.
Haha hi airconvent,
so if you had to chose between the two, which would you pick:). Thanks!