Suggestions please: Mounts worth saving up for

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
cy_figaro

Suggestions please: Mounts worth saving up for

Post by cy_figaro »

Hi all,

I was thoroughly fascinated in space back when i was a kid, i've had my share of naked-eye and binocular sessions... long long time ago. Just recently the fascination reignited, because of Kerbal Space Program (lol), also because of my friend let me peek through her telescope (it was truly a whoa moment) Now i really wonder why i stupidly wait this long until i finally decide to get my own telescope.

I'm interested in observing planets and comets (and maybe some interesting galaxies). I have close relatives in a quite remote part of Indonesia (clear dark skies! [smilie=admire.gif]) and I visit them often, so why not bring a 'scope there, and share it with them?

(then portability is a must!!)

I probably want something like 5-6" sct's or maybe reflectors for my first 'scope (cmiiw). I see plenty of choice there, this one can think later. For mounts however, maybe not so much choice.

I want
- portability
- EQ mount usable in low latitudes out-of-the-box
- enough sturdiness to be (mis)handled by those airline baggage guys

Budget: $1000, maybe can stretch a bit
No need GO-TO, a decent clock drive is enough already. Also i don't want to carry power tanks (extra weight)

Many thanks & clear skies to all,
cy