Advanced VX 11 Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
syy891
Favourite scope: Celestron Astromaster 130eq

Advanced VX 11 Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope

Post by syy891 »

Hi, I am looking to start astro imaging. I surfed the astro.sg website and found this Advanced VX 11 Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope. It seems to be the most value for money and portable telescope around. I would like to ask if this telescope is suitable for astrophotography?
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Re: Advanced VX 11 Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope

Post by Hardwarezone »

Out of the box , no .... because the mount latitude is 7 to 77 degrees while Singapore is 1 degree.
Getting the biggest scope paired with the mount means you get more vibration or tracking accuracy not as good.
The scope is already 27 lbs of the 30 lbs rated capacity for the avx mount (visual not astrophoto at 30 lbs capacity)
syy891
Favourite scope: Celestron Astromaster 130eq

Post by syy891 »

Hey, thanks for the reply. Now that you mention it, it weight thing makes sense. I am now considering the lighter 9.25" or the CPC Series, particulary the CPC 800. I should note that I am looking to take images of deep sky objects like the Messier objects. Regarding the mount, I understand that there are modified mounts for low latitude and it might be a bit more costlier. Any suggestions is highly appreciated.
geyes30

Post by geyes30 »

It depends heavily on what sort of imaging you plan to do. Amongst the Messier objects the object sizes vary greatly. SCTs may be good for smaller objects (planetary nebulae, small galaxies), but not so much for more expansive objects, e.g. M42. If you are starting out in astro imaging, it is generally a good idea to start with a wider field, fast, small refractor, over-mounted on an equatorial mount. This is far less demanding in terms of tracking and alignment accuracy, and makes the chances of success far greater. Only after figuring this out should you consider imaging on SCTs, which can be hard to tame, and may require things like on- or off-axis guiders to image successfully, especially with the long focal ratio typical of SCTs.