Celestron C5 Finderscope Location

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
krauxx
Favourite scope: Celestron C5

Celestron C5 Finderscope Location

Post by krauxx »

Hi, I am quite new to this and was wondering if I can 'rotate' the rear assembly of the OTA. My C5 is currently mounted on a NexStar GoTo and the finderscope is located at the 7 o'clock position which is kind of awkward location. I would prefer it to be on the 10-11 o'clock position. If the rotation can be possible, the adjustment knob will be at 3 o'clock as compared to current position of 12 o'clock. I am a right hand user and find the 3 o'clock for the knob more ergonomic.

Appreciate advise from more senior member with the same scope.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Celestron C5 Finderscope Location

Post by Airconvent »

Hi krauxx,
Not sure what you mean. A photo will explain this more clearly. If your OTA is mounted correctly, then its possible the finderscope was mounted in the wrong position. You can change it be unscrewing it and rescrewing it at the desired location as there are a number of screw around the OTA.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Post by Hardwarezone »

SCT corrector plate and primary mirror are paired at the same "direction" at the factory, that is why when disassembling corrector plate (to clean or repair) need to put a small marking on the glass.
If only rotate the rear , you lose this alignment with the corrector plate and introduce aberrations to the image.

Think of it as 2 pringles chip ontop of each other ... they only fit together at certain alignment.
Mibmom
Favourite scope: Celestron Nexstar 6SE

Post by Mibmom »

Perhaps you could get a telrad or Rigel finder?
It can be attached at a position that you prefer.
It uses double sided tape.
Hope this helps.
Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me
~ Serenity
krauxx
Favourite scope: Celestron C5

Post by krauxx »

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. I checked and it seems that the C5 is a Spotting Scope thus it does not exactly fit a NexStar SLT Goto Tripod. It should fit a NexStar SE GoTo tripod mount. Think I need to live with an odd position finder scope.