Recommended Alt Az Goto mount for 90mm refractor

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
ahbock

Recommended Alt Az Goto mount for 90mm refractor

Post by ahbock »

Hi,

I have a Sky Watcher Evostar 90mm refractor scope. Would like to mount it onto a Alt Az Goto mount. Any recommendation please?

Thanks.
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Re: Recommended Alt Az Goto mount for 90mm refractor

Post by Hardwarezone »

3 tips to note

1) long refractor have the heavy parts on 2 far ends, your scope is about 3kg after attaching diagonal eyepiece finder but the vibration is comparable to other more compact telescope designs in the 4-5kg range when on the same mount.

2) long refractor tube brings the eyepiece lower when pointed to targets higher in the sky , you are more likely to sit on a shorter stool than a standard height chair.

3) the refractor tube rear half will collide with the base of certain design of Alt-Az mounts , cannot point straight up. Designs that offset from the tripod vertical axis are more suitable.
ahbock

Re: Recommended Alt Az Goto mount for 90mm refractor

Post by ahbock »

Hi Hardwarezone, thanks for your advice. I guess the iOptron MiniTower Pro Alt-Azimuth Mount with Tri-Pier is what I am looking for.