Celestron Nexstar vs Skyprodigy

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
JoelTan

Celestron Nexstar vs Skyprodigy

Post by JoelTan »

Hi can anyone advise regarding these 2 versions from Celestron. I understand that Nexstar requires you to pin point 3 locations before it can be setup while the Skyprodigy is able to automatically do all this by itself.

I'm residing in Singapore, practically which will be really workable? Based on the theories of course Skyprodigy will be easy to get start up but not sure if it works that effectively?
Also in heavy noise polluted Singapore night skies, how easy is it really to identify 3 locations for Nexstar calibration?

Obviously I am quite a newbie..
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Celestron Nexstar vs Skyprodigy

Post by Airconvent »

Actually both Nexstar and the sky prodigy uses the same techniques except that for the latter, it uses a camera to pin point the stars. In Singapore,where many starts are blocked, using your eyes to choose is generally easier. Because for sky prodigy, it will keep on hunting for stars in its database and move on to th next when it cannot see it. This will take longer when there are few stars around.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
JoelTan

Post by JoelTan »

Can Skyprodigy use "manual" method to setup like the Nexstar? I mean as you mentioned that due to the dim night skies of Singapore there are chances of Starsense not able to automatically detect the stars, as such can we still use the StarAlign (If I am not wrong that this is the method in Nexstar) on Skyprodigy system?

Thanks
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

I do not have a skyprodigy to compare but I suppose it should be possible. You can try downloading th manual and see if it can do it. :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets