Newbie look for his very first telescope (Found )

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Daisuke

Newbie look for his very first telescope (Found )

Post by Daisuke »

hi
a newbie here look for new telescope ( cheap & good )
2nd telescope also can
any good telesops to intro
budget about $400 - $500

btw is Celestron powerseeker 60 Eq nice a not

Cheer

(Update : i found my scope lao
it is a NexStar 114GT )
Last edited by Daisuke on Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sam Lee

Post by Sam Lee »

Hi Daisuke,

Looking at your profile, you have just joined Singastro yesterday, so WELCOME to the community!
First of all, i assumed you have very little or no knowledge at all about astronomical equipments, so instead of looking around aimlessly, it will be best if you can join a few of our observations and learn something first. I believe anyone who post their observations here will be willing to share their knowledge.

For your information, if you are aiming to get a telescope, your budget will be a little bit tight. Furthermore, i don't usually recommend someone who is just into this hobby to get a telescope, unless you already have reasonable amount of experience to tell which is good and which is not.
Your budget, however, will be in a comfortable range if you are out looking for some good binoculars, which is really a good starting point for beginners.

I believe alot of us down here started out with a binos and learn the constellations first.

Enough said, do check out the Events and Observations section to check out the latest posting.

Regards,
Sam
We are the Borg, Resistance is Futile!
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Hi Daisuke,
Yup.. getting a binoculars is better as your budget is not high enough for a good telescope and it is always better to start with binoculars first. Also, it is advisable to get 7x50 binoculars for astronomy; those normal binoculars found in camera shops aren't really suitable for astronomy. You can get get free star charts at www.skymaps.com which are handy in learning the constellations.
AstroDuck
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

hi
a newbie here look for new telescope ( cheap & good )
2nd telescope also can
any good telesops to intro
budget about $400 - $500

btw is Celestron powerseeker 60 Eq nice a not
Forget about that toy scope.

In my personal opinion (been there, done that), the best intro scope is meade etx90-ra. I still can't forget the crisp view of saturn's rings and jupiter's belts the first time i used the scope.

Maybe you can persuade anat to sell his scope? see http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php?t=2046
Daisuke

Post by Daisuke »

wow thanks
wah..so tempting.....

sad as there no "orion 8x50 RACI finder, Rigel finder, tube ring, and tripod" still trying to understand what are there :(
hopping to get a full set

and i also find this model on the net asying
NexStar 114GT Newtonian reflector for $500
is NexStar 114GT better??

Thanks
Sam Lee

Post by Sam Lee »

Hi Daisuke,

If you are talking about first hand equipment, i dont think you can get the one you mentioned at 500buck SGD. The online store u are looking at probably shows it in USD, EXcluding the shipping charges. It will be alot more cost efficient if you can get one locally, either 1st or 2nd hand.

For your info, you can run down to the local astroscientific centre to familiarize yourself with the latest pricing and also do some 'see see look look touch touch'.

Regards,
Sam
We are the Borg, Resistance is Futile!
Daisuke

Post by Daisuke »

Thanks
noted :)

well, i have run down to singapore science center for some look look and see see. so somehow i know what i looking for
for the equipment i saw it on local Auctions page.. so far the seller is letting go at S$500.... so seen like a gd deal for 2nd hand

cheer
thanks for all info
i try 2 get more familiarize with these items
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Check out www.cloudynights.com and www.scopereviews.com for lots of scope reviews, and previous threads here on Singastro for lots of newbie scope buying advice.

cheers
cc
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

actually, can go try astro-sci, see if they have anymore of those 4.5" f/8 dobs going ard for less than $500.

~MooEy~
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

don't forget our faq section too and welcome to Singastro!
i think weixing has a tie up with a local company to offer some good prices on newtionians and such but you will have to wait for him to come back first as he is enjoying himself in hong kong now looking at other kinds of stars...! :-)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets