Finally a tracking platform for us in equator countries!

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
VinSnr
Administrator

Finally a tracking platform for us in equator countries!

Post by VinSnr »

Check this out guys

http://www.johnsonian.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page12.html

Let's give Sam Johnson a big hug and a beer!
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: Finally a tracking platform for us in equator countries!

Post by VinSnr »

VinSnr wrote:Check this out guys

http://www.johnsonian.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page12.html

Let's give Sam Johnson a big hug and a beer!
no one welcome this because not many into dobs here?
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

hmm.. i think the amount of dob in sg can be counted with 1 hand?

~MooEy~
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Hard to fit a dob in a HDB...
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

It is also not cheap.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

kayheem wrote:It is also not cheap.
well, it's quite reasonable if compared to others though....
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Tachyon wrote:Hard to fit a dob in a HDB...
haha...you are saying that? I am shifting to a studio apartment tommorrow and I am already thinking of a dob!!

I think the restriction for a dob is not the house, but rather the transport.
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Actually.. if you own a car.. a dob can fit easily if you are willing to sacrifice the back seat. For the size and weight of a dob.. it is not much of a difference with those telescopes with tripods and counter weights and host of other things to carry. The dob has a stand which can be carried with one hand.. and the Optical Tube (if you buy a bag from Orion..it can be carried on the shoulder). Basically, one person can carry the whole set.
AstroDuck
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Canopus Lim wrote:Actually.. if you own a car.. a dob can fit easily if you are willing to sacrifice the back seat. For the size and weight of a dob.. it is not much of a difference with those telescopes with tripods and counter weights and host of other things to carry. The dob has a stand which can be carried with one hand.. and the Optical Tube (if you buy a bag from Orion..it can be carried on the shoulder). Basically, one person can carry the whole set.
I have played with all designs before....and I can tell you that the dob is the easiest to transport and set up if you have a car.

The EQ mount has too many parts. If you add the scope, it really beats me how you can carry a eq mount and the scope on public transport. Honestly, I think an eq mount need a car as well. Maybe with some frens it is managable on public transport.
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

going very off topic already, but let's keep it that way.

i think the fastest to setup scope would easily be a dob. u guys should see chris dropping his 8" f/5 onto the base and start obbing immediately.

in terms of transportation, i do not know how many people can managed to squeeze into the doors of a bus with a 8" newt on their back and a base in their hand. i doubt i could squeeze in due to my size.

but the eq mount isn't any better. a sp/gp mount alone already can keep one busy. and u still have to carry a 8" sct with u, i think that's pretty demanding for 1 person to handle.

the gpdx, sphinx and much bigger mounts, forget abt handling those alone. u maybe be able to move it out the first time due to ur enthu, but u are not going to do it again.

packed into a car, i think both the dob and the eq sct would take up abt the same amount of space. truss dobs dominate in this area, a 10" teleport fits nicely into a seat and could be buckle nicely with the seat belt.

i guess the popularity of sct are mainly due to the amount floating in the 2nd hand market. dobs are rarely brought in due to shipping cost.

~MooEy~