New WO ZenithStar II ED APO

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

ariefm71 wrote:OK, going back to the scope we're discussing. Since Astro-Tech doesn't want to reveal the glass type, looks like their AT80ED is also using FPL-51. If that's the case, this WO ZSIIED will be a better buy. For a few hundred bucks more, WO anniversary scope or the new Stellarvue NightHawk NexGen will be a nicer scope to have, IMO.

Arief
The AT80ED look similar like the WO. why is it that the WO is a nicer scope to have?
anat

Post by anat »

It is not clear who are working for AT. So, the customer service will be difficult.
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Hope it has a focal length of 488. 88 mm APO with focal length 488 and cost 888.

Not bad.
A scope that fast (f/5.5) won't have a good color correction, although I might still buy it as my birthday is 8 aug :-)
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

he AT80ED look similar like the WO. why is it that the WO is a nicer scope to have?
WO has been around for a long time, their customer service level is well known.
williamopticsmarketing
Vendor

Post by williamopticsmarketing »

Arief, the ZSFD optics is NOT sold by ANY other company, ONLY WO.
ariefm71 wrote:OK, don't want to argue about glass types, but you can get FPL-53 doublet scopes for about the same price as this FPL-51 scope. Check out AT80ED (i like the name :-)) from Astro-Tech, they didn't say it's FPL-53, but the specs are very similar to ZS "fluorite" doublet (without the TMB-codesigned stuff).
williamopticsmarketing
Vendor

Post by williamopticsmarketing »

correct! Design, and execution, are critical. It is NOT about glass only...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/William-O ... ssage/8850
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/William-O ... ssage/8598

acc wrote:Ya I wonder why there are all these passionate arguments about glass types when all that really matters is what you see through the scope... The WO FD definitely is no let-down in this respect.
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Arief, the ZSFD optics is NOT sold by ANY other company, ONLY WO.
Hi William,

Thanks for clarifying :-)

rgds,
Arief