WO also import 102 ED scopes!

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Meng Lee

WO also import 102 ED scopes!

Post by Meng Lee »

Oh man,

Is Kunming Optics trying to overwhelm Synta? Even William Optics also imports their scopes!!

http://www.williamoptics.com/wo_shop/ca ... cts_id=339

*faint*
mrngbss

Post by mrngbss »

Can you explain a little more about the thing about importing their scopes? They say their scopes are from Taiwan. and WO is from Taiwan, isn't it?
Wee Nghee the Pooh
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

I think this ED 102 and the Orion ED 102 are the same scope. Look at the focuser and tube rings. So I think WO imported it from China, then star test it, then sell as the package you see.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Is Kunming Optics trying to overwhelm Synta? Even William Optics also imports their scopes!!
You mean Kunming Maxvision?? The kunming Maxvision (ED102 F7 APO) version is an ED triplet, but the Orion 102ED and WO Megrez 102 ED is an ED doublet. Also, the dew shield design between Maxvision ED102 and WO Megrez 102 ED is different. Below is the link to the picture of Maxvision ED102 F7 APO:
http://www.astron.sh.cn/cgi-bin/topic.c ... 640&show=0

Anyway, Orion 102ED and WO Megrez 102 ED look very similar and may be from the same OEM... I think may still be from synta as they always let their reseller have the latest product first before sold under sky-watcher brand.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

Oh no, how many optical companies are there in Kunming??? I saw this one:

http://www.united-optics.com/products/T ... F-7_ED.htm

The Astrotech 102ED and WO and Orion 102 ED should be the same thing.

The skywatcher version of "nice mechanics" scope should be the Equinox series. Haha
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

I won't be surprised if the Stellarvue SV102ED is also the same thing, the lens and the tube.
vhuang168

Post by vhuang168 »

ariefm71 wrote:
I won't be surprised if the Stellarvue SV102ED is also the same thing, the lens and the tube.
It has been noted that the SV offering is a totally different telescope. Lens are purchased from someone else and made to SV's own specs. The whole telescope is assembled in the US.

Vincent
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

Yes, It was noted that by Vic himself in the Yahoo Forums.
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

It really depends on who you believe in :)
Anyway, this is just my opinion. You're entitled to yours as well.

Btw, if I were in the market to buy one of these 102ED scopes, I will go with SV as well. Why? because that's the only version that allow the focuser to be unthreaded for airline carry-on, I also like the stardust blue color ;)

Arief
vhuang168

Post by vhuang168 »

Sigh... not going to get into that here. But there are some differences. For eg, the SV has a rotating back. Also, the SV has been available for some time now, but all the rest are only starting to come on line. You would think that a company based in Taiwan would get the 'same' scope much quicker than a company based here in the US.

Now I know the scopes look very similar and there is a possibility that SV purchased the tube/dew shield from the same company. But unless you have both scopes in front of you to compare it is very hard to tell.

I'd like to know why you think the SV and the others are the same scope.

Vincent