ETX Series,

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Kelvin

ETX Series,

Post by Kelvin »

Just wanted to say a thank you to all those who helped and replied to me, in regards to the ETX90RA.

i now discover that the model DOES NOT have a motor, simply using maunal gears system to move the scope. it is good, but that not my objective scope.

I going into areas of ETX series and saving money to get one. with GOTO and handheld control pad.

I may not conside LTX series cause they cause too much with a tripod.

My aim was to purchase a good scope, from beginner level that will last all the way till the day i become a pro. something all rounder yet will perform and last.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
May be you can "book" Airconvent ETX-105 and hope that his purchase of the 8 inch scope is successful... He get his 8 inch, you get a ETX-105 and save a lots of money... :P

Have a nice day and happy Chinese New Year!!
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Hi Kelvin
If you ever go to Hong Kong, you can purchase Meade scopes at very attractive prices from www.grandeye.com.hk :wink:

cc
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Thanks Weixing for the sales pitch :lol: but Kelvin has a budget of about $500 which means the ETX105EC is not in his "FOV" for now...... :cry:

Kelvin,
As Chris and I have mentioned earlier, the ETX90RA does HAVE a motor.
Only it is used for polar tracking. What is does not have is GOTO capability, i.e. the ability to auto move to an object you select once it is aligned.
The ETX90RA is more of a cost effective solution for a portable good scope (no..make that GREAT scope) once you remove the forkmount and use it in spotting scope mode....

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
ariefm71

Re: ETX Series,

Post by ariefm71 »

hi, i'm a proud owner of etx90RA, purchased from ebay for US$190.00 last year. It DOES have a motor for polar tracking (see the pic here http://www.singastro.org/album_cat.php?cat_id=3). The optics are superb, saturn's cassini division is clearly visible, jupiter and its four moons are magnificent, i attached a camera adapter onto it and use my cheap digicam to take moon shots (see here http://www.singastro.org/album_cat.php?cat_id=2). It's very portable, I bring the scope with me everytime I go on my overseas trips. In short, it is a GREAT scope for beginners.

PS: It lacks GOTO, which is good for beginners as GOTO will discourage people to learn about constellations, do star hopping, etc. That being said, my next scope will be an 8" schmidt-cassegrain with GPS capability :lol:
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

hi kelvin, on how the scope is polar aligned from 1" N lattitude (i.e. singapore), see here http://www.singastro.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=32
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

ariefm71 wrote:hi kelvin, on how the scope is polar aligned from 1" N lattitude (i.e. singapore), see here http://www.singastro.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=32
Good try....but don't do that on a bigger ETX. Unless you have ways to secure the tripod from falling down.
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

Looks like the ETX90RA CAN BE mounted on the camera tripod..not so bad lah.
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

I current searching for buyer who would help me get one ETX90RA, i would pay some comission of course and pay the thing in cash$$. first.

I in 90% complete my research in the ETX90RA and got some photos of the shots taken by the scope. (see my gallery). i am 87% sure that this would be a good firstscope and will last me for many years to come.

Any comments pls do reply. i need your wise words.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Kelvin wrote:I current searching for buyer who would help me get one ETX90RA, i would pay some comission of course and pay the thing in cash$$. first.

I in 90% complete my research in the ETX90RA and got some photos of the shots taken by the scope. (see my gallery). i am 87% sure that this would be a good firstscope and will last me for many years to come.

Any comments pls do reply. i need your wise words.
Hi Kelvin
I think the ETX90RA will make a fine firstscope :)

Why not try getting the scope urself instead of paying someone to do it for you? :) Its not difficult to get a bank draft or maybe with some luck you can find a dealer who is willing to accept a credit card.

cheers
cc